Thread: AR 10 or another AR 15

Feedback Score

AR 10 or another AR 15

Hey guys

Maybe this has been asked before but here it goes.
    I currently own an AK 47 and a LMT AR 15. I want to purchase another rifle, before any Assualt Weapons Ban. Even if that doesn't happen I still want another rifle. My issue is should I buy an AR 10 or get another AR 15? On the AR 10 I like the Bushmaster ORC, I will put a 1-5 power scope on it. It will be used for hog hunting and SHTF.

If I get an AR 15 I have plenty of mags, parts, ammo, etc

Do I really need a 308 battle rifle? That's my big question.

Thanks for any advice

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a similar setup of current weapons and have been tossing that question around except AR-10 or SBR AR-15. I think I am going to pick up the AR-10 for my next weapons purchase. A buddy of mine has the LWRC Repr and I enjoy the (SASS) style of shooting. If I lived in an AO that hog hunting was available I would definitely go with the AR-10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 7.62mm AR is the best semi-auto platform in that caliber IMO. In terms of ease of maintenance, durability, modularity, modernity, and ergonomics, it beats the socks off the M14, FAL, and G3 clones.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Everyone needs a .308.

My current hog setup is a Ruger Scout with either fixed scout scope or Aimpoint micro.

Working on picking up a suppressor. After my stamp comes back I will also be buying a 300 BLK SBR for the purposes you mention. Maybe not a direct answer, but I personally prefer a lighter, handier weapon for hunting than an AR-10. If your purposes extend beyond that application, then yes! Yes you do need an AR-10.
    Last edited by Blayglock; 11-29-12 at 06:46.