Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: which .308/.762 AR and why

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've run my 16" DSA FAL for many years and am sold on the platform. Thus far I've only used the iron sights so I don't really notice the accuracy decrement. Due largely to the endorsment from someone on this site, I just ordered the DSA scope mount for it. I've been experimenting with the AR10 platform for about a year now. I've had both 18" and 16" Noveske N6s as well as 16" Armalite chrome lined AR10. All have ran flawlessly, though I will admit, I haven't run the N6s hard by any means. Sold the Armalite when my N6s came in. Now I'm replacing the 18" N6 with a another Armalite 16" CL. The 16" N6 does everything I need without the extra weight/length of the 18".
    Last edited by JPB; 02-21-10 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    As this thread evolves a couple of thoughts come to mind.

I based my response predicated on how your initial question was formatted.

I own FAL's, Sage EBR and AR10.

imo, FAL's do not have the consistant accuracy of an AR10 & Sage EBR.

M1A (and it's hybrids etc.) & FALs are heavier (piston components etc.)

imo, If your lugging it around all day/night patrolling/hunting you will feel the difference. I do.

If your just pulling up your rig unloading KIT and shooting it's not an consideration.

My AR10 (14.5") weighed in @ 8.25 lbs. w/ empty mag (sans ammo, scope, scope mount, etc.) imo, Acceptable within Battle Rifle specs.

SR25 EM @ approx. 5K is excellent but cost prohibitive by your own perimeters.

imo, define your needs as was previously mentioned.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks for all the great info in this thread!!!

Think i'm going to go with a FAL for now... I see used DSA for pretty reasonable prices... And mags are are reasonable too... Hell for what I want to spend could probally pick up 2... I really would like a original AR-10 but don't want to have to give up my first born or soul to get one... What i think would be cool is if someone would bring back a copy of a Armalite AR-16... Ever sense I read The Black Rifle I've been fascinated with the weapons that the original Armalite company produced... Way ahead of there time... Thanks again all for the great info!!!!

Carl

Feedback Score
    The two 7.62x51mm AR systems that I would currently feel comfortable using in GP, non-dedicated DMR/sniper roles are the LaRue OBR and KAC SR25 EM--probably topped with one of the new 1-8x optics.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-21-10 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

When you build several thousand government 7.62mm guns you learn a thing or two...

Yes our guns are expensive, we are trying to lower the price as best as we can, and this years guns are 100x the guns where of old, and cheaper than the last few years.

The SR-25 mag is the 7.62mm standard these day, as its in Military usage.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    The SR-25 mag is the 7.62mm standard these day, as its in Military usage.
    So the M9 mag is the standard 9mm pistol mag? I would argue that millions of G17/G19/G26 users would beg to differ. Hipower and CZ75 users too. I'm sure you can see where this assertion can be challenged with common analogous comparisons?

Aren't your former comrades in arms still using the AR-10? Last we talked, specifically on that subject, they were still fielding them, but that may have been a year ago+. I know that DOS uses them, but that's not military.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 02-23-10 at 08:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Uk uses both SR-25 and now LMT .308 - both SR-25 Mag, and Hk417
    Italy - SR-25 and Hk417
    Canada - SR-25, AR10, Hk417
    Australia - SR-25

US Mil - SR-25
    DOS - SR-25
    DOE - SR-25

My point being, is the SR-25 mag is pretty much the accepted standard for a current .308 gun.
    I don't understand why anyone would make a non standard mag is in this system
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    So the M9 mag is the standard 9mm pistol mag? I would argue that millions of G17/G19/G26 users would beg to differ. Hipower and CZ75 users too. I'm sure you can see where this assertion can be challenged with common analogous comparisons?

Aren't your former comrades in arms still using the AR-10? Last we talked, specifically on that subject, they were still fielding them, but that may have been a year ago+. I know that DOS uses them, but that's not military.
    Gosh, can't the Canucks get any love....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4forme View Post
    I'm wanting an AR in .308 which one's are good and which are not...kind of looking at LMT but I know there are others out there... need some input here...
    looking to spend $2000-$3000 range....
    That's a big budget. I just built, if you count snappinig the upper half to the lower half together, an Armalite AR10 for $1010. Add to this the cost of 10 magazines at $275. I still have to get a scope and mount though. And yes, the upper does have a chrome lined barrel. I'm sure my setup isn't the top of the line best, but it's going to be pretty accurate. Armalite has been making AR10's for a while now, so I'm expecting it to be reliable too. Of course, this is just an example. You may be able to get a quality FAL for the same or less. My point is that you don't have to spend up to $3000 to get it done. Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your new baby.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    My point being, is the SR-25 mag is pretty much the accepted standard for a current .308 gun.
    You know, you're right. "Perception is reality" and the SR-25 pattern rules the roost for .308 AR mags adoption.

I don't understand why anyone would make a non standard mag in this system
    I have addressed this concern and desire to every level of person at ArmaLite, even talking to Westrom at SHOT two or three years ago, and they are being completely oblivious to it. I told them, and even had a bunch of other AR-10 owners tell them via email, that if they made a whole separate line of lowers that still worked with the existing AR-10 uppers but took "SR-25" mags, we would buy the new guns just to support a forward thinking approach.

Instead, they tackled the AR-24 pistol project and tried to bring another 7.62x39 AR to market -- even though most of the other ones have failed miserably.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast