Thread: 32 ACP Loads

Feedback Score

32 ACP Loads

I know that 32's are not very good self defense guns. But, I have a Keltec p-32 that is super easy to conceal. I could carry it at times that I won't have my "real gun" with me. So, I'm looking for a load that minimizes the disadvantages of the 32 ACP.

The loads that I can find are either self defense loads in JHP or target loads in FMJ. My concern is that a JHP may not penetrate enough. But, a lightly loaded FMJ intended for target shooting may not be any better.

I'm thinking when talking about 32 I may have to give up expansion to get adequate penetration. But, I haven't seen any self defense FMJ or semi wadcutters etc. Does anybody have any recommendations for me?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/test...60st-b3032.htm

This is pretty typical of the .32acp. Penetration seems to only be ideal when the bullets did not expand. So, you're going to be better off using a non JHP. The bullet is just so light with such poor sectional density, that using a JHP slows it down way too much resulting in shallow penetration.

Here's some sources of ammo:
    http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.32_ACP

The .380acp JHP, although just as poor in sectional density, is able to double the penetration levels of the .32acp JHP in loads like the Hornady XTP 90gr because of the greater momentum. The .380 is considered to be a pretty marginal performer, but eclipses the .32acp which says a lot.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/test...-90xtp-b85.htm
    Last edited by sgalbra76; 02-20-10 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "I'm thinking when talking about 32 I may have to give up expansion to get adequate penetration"

Yes.

Example; In testing here I found that the .32 Gold Dot would only go about 6" in bare gelatin due to the bullet expanding, when fired through heavy clothing the bullet would fail to expand and go 11".

I'd use whatever FMJ round was most reliable in my pistol, the .32s are finicky about what they feed and fire.

Starting with the Winchester since it's a flat point might be helpful, if it works then you get a tiny bit more crush from the FMJFP.

Buffalo Bore also makes a hot loaded LFP in .32 that is made specifically to penetrate well.

Feedback Score
    FMJ That is it don't trust any thing else.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buffalo Bore .32 ACP +P Ammo - 75 gr. Hardcast F.N. (889fps) from my Kel-Tec P-32 and let me tell you its a handful out of that little pistol. So much so that my pistols recoil spring was damaged after 20rds fired and I could never get more to two shots off accurately before having to reposition the pistol in my hand. I replace the recoil spring with another which was claimed by Kel-tec to be heavier in nature but that only last another 20rds before spring damage occurred. So far I have not seen any damage to the little pistol frame but a Kel-Tec is not made to take a lot of abuse.

Feedback Score
    For what its worth I carry Fiocci JHP in mine. Here is the report:

Fiocchi 60gr SJHP, factory, 854 ± 0.500 ft/sec. Perforated entire 16.0 ± 0.031"
    block and recovered at 0.304" diameter, no expansion
    Fiocchi 60gr SJHP. Impacted at 977 ft/sec, penetrated to 16.0" of gelatin and out of the rear of the block. Slight flattening of the nose was present, no expansion occured
    and the link:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page920.htm
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page820.htm

Feedback Score
    Sell it and get a 12-15 oz J-frame or small 9 mm...

If you must use .32 ACP, use FMJ that feeds well--flat points don't really do anything.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-23-10 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Sell it and get a 12-15 oz J-frame or small 9 mm...

If you must use .32 ACP, use FMJ that fees well--flat points don't really do anything.
    I only use my .32acp as a BUG to my S&W Model 337 during hot weather carry but I will be looking for another FMJ loading which won't damage the recoil spring in less then 20rds.

Feedback Score
    I second DocGKR's advice. A 5 shot J frame is just as easy to conceal.