Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian Fn-Fal

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The FAL is the softest shooting of the traditional main battle rifles (MBR's), and my favorite. It's about the perfect compromise between reliability, accuracy, ergonomics, and it's one of the most sustainable of the MBR's available today.

Do yourself a huge favor and get yourself one of these kits that DSA put together.

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-Tool-Kit-P...oductinfo/649/

And get the manual that they offer as well.

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-Operators-...oductinfo/601/
    Last edited by TOrrock; 03-14-10 at 16:08.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    The FAL is the softest shooting of the traditional main battle rifles (MBR's), and my favorite. It's about the perfect compromise between reliability, accuracy, ergonomics, and it's one of the most sustainable of the MBR's available today.

Do yourself a huge favor and get yourself one of these kits that DSA put together.

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-Tool-Kit-P...oductinfo/649/

And get the manual that they offer as well.

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-Operators-...oductinfo/601/
    Templar -

Thanks for that good information... Do you have any suggestions for parts to have on hand that might need replacement more often than others? I would like to have a few on hand to ensure I can continue to enjoy my SAI SAR-48.

And of the three battle rifles I had (M1A, HK91, SAR-48) it is the softest shooting with the HK91 kicking like a mule. I think it also has the best ergonomics as well. The M1A beats it in the sight department but it is hard to see how it "lost" back in the 50s...

Spooky

Feedback Score

Brazilian FN-FAL

Thanks for the info..will order the parts kit and booklet. What ammo gets the best results as far as reliability and accuracy. Do you have your rifle scoped and if so what do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Take a look through this thread, it might help a bit.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33079

As far as spare parts, I'd pick up a couple firing pins, firing pin retaining pins, and extractors. You really don't see quality FAL parts breaking. A spare gas plug, recoil spring kit, and gas piston spring would also be worth while to pick up.

As far as ammo goes.....you're coming in on the wrong side of that one.

About ten years ago was the golden age of surplus 7.62 NATO. You could get Austrian Hirtenberger, Portuguese FMN, Spanish Santa Barbara, British Radway Green, Australian, and South African for stupidly cheap. All of that is good to go ammo.

I try to stick to a rule that keeps me out of trouble......

I do not buy ammunition, especially surplus ammunition, from a country that pisses in it's own drinking water.

That means....NO Indian, NO Pakistani, NO Chilean, and no Colombian. South American ammo that is good to go is Argentine, Brazilian (CBC), and some Venezuelan.

German, Austrian, British, Australian, Spanish, Portuguese, South African from the late 70's and early 80's, and Malaysian is good stuff.

The South African ammo we see over here was made back when they had a very professional military and advanced military industrial complex, and they were fighting in Angola, Mozambique, and SW Africa, so it needed to be good stuff.

As far as accuracy, these are service rifles, not match rifles, so I expect 3"-5" groups, and am pleasantly surprised when I see 2".

I did run a Kahles 1.1-4x CSX on a DSA Para that I had, but I put it back on the 6920. That optic did allow really nice tight groups from a bench though.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 03-14-10 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I recently sold an Imbel that I had bought back in high school. Sold it for $600. I didn't realize how much they were worth, damn...
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Gen William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score

Brazilian FN-FAL

Any thoughts on the best place to pick up metric mags at a decent price? P.S...what is a decent price nowadays? How many do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah54 View Post
    Any thoughts on the best place to pick up metric mags at a decent price? P.S...what is a decent price nowadays? How many do you recommend?
    Mags for the metric FAL used to be everywhere and dirt cheap. They are still out there, just not as cheap.

I just popped over to Gunbroker and saw several listings for the German surplus 20 rd. mags in lots of 10. They were unissued, and you used to be able to get a 10 pack for $100.00. Now, they're about $20.00 each.

If you find some ratty looking ones, they can be cleaned up and DSA still has new replacement springs for cheap.

I would get at least 10 mags.

Feedback Score
    The PAC imported "Gear Logo" Imbel upper receivers are some of the best. Imbel was licensed by FN to make FALs. I have a PAC/Imbel upper as well and used it to build up a FAL from a parts kit (as yous was). It's one of my favorites. Your upper receiver alone is worth in the $400 - $500 range. Receivers are no longer imported, btw and parts kits are very rare. DS Arms is a source for US made receivers.

Some caution is in order since the 1989 AWB is still in effect (the '94 ban went away, but not the '89 law). To be legal a FAL must have at least 7 major foreign parts replaced by US made parts. Generally (and from memory) the US made major parts that could be used to make the US count would include the upper receiver, FH, pistol grip, butt stock, forearm, gas piston, hammer, trigger, sear, magazine body, magazine floor plate, magazine carrier, barrel, charging handle, bolt and bolt carrier. (I could have missed one or two or gotten a part wrong.) Some, such as the safety selector, etc., do not count even if US made.

The FALFiles will have more specifics and lots of information if you have problems.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Springfield Armory has Israeli mags for $19, they were on sale for $15. Mine came new wrapped in cosmoline with paper and some hebrew notes.

Feedback Score

Brazilian FN-FAL

Thanks for the info. I found 20 rd mags for sale on keepshooting.com for $13.50 per. The site states they are grade 2 but guaranteed to work. Check it out and let me know what you think. This could be a good site for other board members needing additional mags..if so maybe it could be posted in a different place to make it more accessible. Again, thanks to all for your help!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast