Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brazilian Fn-Fal

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think this thread influenced me to pick up my 4th FAL... should arrive this week.

I didn't get quite the deal you did, but a good deal nonetheless.

It's a full size, unrefinished Imbel kit on a DSA, and I'm actually looking forward to having one as a total beater. I want to keep it light and will probably mount an MRDS.

Glad to hear yours is GTG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is a good site for manuals too, just FYI:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    .... I want to keep it light and will probably mount an MRDS.

With the right dustcover rail (though probably not the DSA unit) it's possible to get a co-witness setup. Sadly this rail is no longer available:

Feedback Score

Brazilian FN-FAL

I know that the receiver is Imbel but is there any way to tell for sure what parts kit the rest of the rifle is built on and...how can you tell for sure that it has the necessary compliant parts?

Feedback Score
    I would first ask the seller - compliance parts from some suppliers are marked "USA", but others, especially those from DSA were not (at least not when I was building "post compliant" FALs ). If you've build a number of these rifles, you can tell by looking, but otherwise it's not easy.

The pic I posted above has several DSA parts which are not marked USA. The hand guards and gas piston (= 2 parts) are DSA and the PG (=1 more) is either DSA or FSE. My stock is original Imbel, btw. FSE marked their HTS (= 3 more) with "FSE-USA", IIRC. The FSE PG and some others are marked on the inside of the grip near the screw. If you have an ungodly hard trigger pull (like 8 - 9 pounds), those parts are "probably" original, but they could be from a crappy US parts supplier like CAI (Century Arms).

Upper receivers are almost always marked, but the one above is early CAI Imported Imbel Upper that's marked "Made in Canada" with no Imbel markings at all. (It's not a US part, nonetheless.)

All my rifles have FSE fire control parts, including the one above. You would have to pull those parts to check, but that won't prove anything if they are DSA unmarked parts. (You at least need the FN Manual to dissemble the HTS as there is a retaining plate that is a little tricky the first time.) And never pull down a FAL without safety glasses as some of the spring are under heavy pressure.

Since I only have 6 qualifying US parts on this particular rifle all my ready magazines have US made floor plates - these are clearly marked on the outside as made in the USA. Look for both the US floor plate and mag carrier, as those are cheap compliance parts. One of my rifles has a nearly exact replica of the Belgium Short FH (similar to the Imbel FH), and it's stamped USA.

If the charging handle has the original black paint over park, and shows some wear, it's "probably" original Imbel. I cannot tell from the pics if your furniture is original or after-market, but Imbel did not produce OD colored furniture. If it's beaten up under the paint, assume it's OEM unless proven otherwise, but most home builders replaced the furniture with US parts as an easy way to get 3 US made compliance parts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234