Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why can't you use steel cased ammo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Steel cased ammo is wrong on many levels. (except for AK shooters)
    Please expand on this statement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GD4 View Post
    I would rather replace a cheap part 5000 rounds sooner then not get to shoot those 5000 rounds do to price of brass vs steel.
    I agree 100%, take the money you save on ammo and put it in a sock until something breaks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    I usually buy this ammo
    I bought 990 rds of that last year, fired good but not super accurate. And it is still $120 more expensive than Wolf ammo (black box). Wolf is great if you are just shooting, I don't shoot it through my varmint rig though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT42 View Post
    Please expand on this statement.
    The AK was designed to shoot the steel cased Russian ammo. The AR was not. To me... shooting steel cased ammo in an AR is a lazy, cheap bastard way to shoot.

I'd rather shoot less and shoot good ammo. Others have the opposite philosophy, and that's cool too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just sent close to 2,000 rounds of Hornady steel-cased practice ammo through a 6940 over three days without a single ammo related failure (I had one double-feed atributed to an old magazine) and the chamber and extractor don't look any worse than they do after shooting brass cased ammo.

Feedback Score
    The AK was designed to shoot the steel cased Russian ammo. The AR was not. To me... shooting steel cased ammo in an AR is a lazy, cheap bastard way to shoot.

I'd rather shoot less and shoot good ammo. Others have the opposite philosophy, and that's cool too.
    Are you serious?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I agree. Spend 1500 to 2000 grand to setup a rifle and then shoot cheap, dirty, underpowered crap. Its like putting some generic brand name motor oil in a high performance sports car.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    I agree. Spend 1500 to 2000 grand to setup a rifle and then shoot cheap, dirty, underpowered crap. Its like putting some generic brand name motor oil in a high performance sports car.
    But by the time you put 15-20K through it with brass cased, you could have paid for a brand new 1500-2000 rifle with the savings shooting steel.

I won't shoot steel through my suppressor due to the dirty powder, but for high volume shooting it does make economical sense.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This thread is quickly devolving into idiocy.

If you dont like steel cased ammo, fine, dont shoot it. Until you can provide a REASON why it is VASTLY inferior to brass cased ammo for training and plinking...just do us a favor and stay the heck out of these threads. The elitist attitude in regards to being too good for steel cased ammo or owning a firearm that ONLY digests nothing but gold plated cases with rose impregnated bullets is also moronic.

If my life were on the line i would never, EVER rely on steel cased ammo but for 99% of the shooting community steel cased is more than adequate.

I would rather just shoot, period end of story. It just so happens that i shoot between 200 and 750 rounds a month out of my AR's. If its significantly cheaper and it works for me...hey, i get to spend the savings on other things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123