Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't you use steel cased ammo

Feedback Score

Why can't you use steel cased ammo

Why can't you use steel cased ammo on some uppers. Some say you can't use it others don't mention it.

Feedback Score
    I think alot of it has to do with warranties. My bushmaster said not to use steel cased ammo or else it would void the warranty. However, I used wolf and silver bear, and it worked just fine. I dont think it is said because it will shut down your rifle, I just think the manufacturers make that statement because ammo quality between the US and foreign manufacturers vary, and they dont want you sending back a rifle that works just fine on US ammo, but not on other stuff.

Feedback Score
    I see there is much debate about steel cased ammo.

I have shot about 100rnds of Wolf through my Stag and no problems.

But because of such uncertainty I actually called a TECH at Stag and asked them.
    They informed me it would not void my warrenty and that my rifle would eat steel cased ammo just fine. I had my doubts...

Thats why I asked the same question 3 different ways and got the same answers lol.

Just my .02/experience

It is very odd that an AK priced for about 1/3rd of what an M4 costs would be able to handle steel cased ammo yet the AR cannot.

Feedback Score
    Extra wear on the extractor. If you have a well built rifle it should be able to eat anything you feed it. I have run multiple types of steal ammo through my Wilson even though the company said not to. The only problem that I have had with my rifle is while running low grade .223 stuff and even some of the 5.56 rated American Eagle tactical ammo would not lock the bolt to the rear on a empty mag. I solved the problem by replacing my light buffer with a H2 and now she runs fine. I have been running the TAP training ammo she runs great on it. I just also placed a order for some Brown bear to see how she likes the taste of it. I do however try and stay away from the corrosive stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GD4 View Post
    Extra wear on the extractor. If you have a well built rifle it should be able to eat anything you feed it. I have run multiple types of steal ammo through my Wilson even though the company said not to. The only problem that I have had with my rifle is while running low grade .223 stuff and even some of the 5.56 rated American Eagle tactical ammo would not lock the bolt to the rear on a empty mag. I solved the problem by replacing my light buffer with a H2 and now she runs fine. I have been running the TAP training ammo she runs great on it. I just also placed a order for some Brown bear to see how she likes the taste of it. I do however try and stay away from the corrosive stuff.
    Steel cased ammo does NOT wear the extractor faster than brass cased in any measurable way and even if it does, its impossible to quantify how much extra wear its putting on that part.

Bottom line, extractors last a ridiculously long time as is and they're a cheap and easy part to replace.

Only guns with improper spec chambers will tend to choke on steel cased ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
    It is very odd that an AK priced for about 1/3rd of what an M4 costs would be able to handle steel cased ammo yet the AR cannot.
    Maybe because AKs were designed from inception to us steel-case ammo, which was prevelent in Eastern-Bloc countries, while ARs were designed around the brass cartridges commonly found in the western world.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

steel case

Ok here is my two bits on steel case ammo in the AR platform

I have a Colt 6920 with over 5K of steel case ammo through it WOLF MIL CLASSIC, cheeeeeep), no problems. I also have a S&W 15R 545x39 upper with over 12K of steel case through it ( all corrosive). The extractor on the 5.45x39 upper sh*t the bed at 11,400 to 11, 500 rounds, just a bit past the typical design life. Two is not a text and long term evaluation. So whats the problem with steel case ammo.

Many for years have offered statements that steel case ammo will wear chambers, extractors, and bolt faces at an accelerated rate. It may but can anyone prove it? And how much of the useful life will you lose on a barrel?I have never seen a published study, one may exist and if it does I would expect that it was Generated by the US Mil. during ammo experiments in the Ordnance Department, during the SPIW, ACR or ammo improvement programs during or after the Viet Nam war. I would bet one of the RKI's that work in the industry could enlighten us.

Is steel case Wolf and COMBLOC Soviet surplus ammo gritty, and has heavy with a greasy soot. Yes but this has to do with bulk powder selection. Powder is a cost driver.

I guess we would all shoot grade one, barrier blind, bonded, low flash ammo if money was not a factor.

I guess that some gun builders have knowledge that I do not.
    Regards
    Matthew

Feedback Score
    AK cases are heavily tapered which makes them easier to extract.
    223 cases is for the most part straight walled works fine with brass that will contract after being fired but the steel case doesn't contract.
    Add to the fact that .223 chambers tend to run on the tight side for more accuracy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Steel cases simply don't function mechanically the same way brass cases do. I don't buy the excessive wear arguements.

But since steel cases don't seem to pressure form to the chamber properly like brass, they can cause functioning problems in an otherwise perfectly acceptable gun. And some people say that since steel doesn't form to the chamber, the cases allow more filth to build up inside the chamber walls.

I had a malf (bolt over) with steel cased hornady training ammo in a reliable gun two weeks ago.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am in the middle of a carbine course right now, shooting Hornady steel cased training ammo in a 6940 and I haven't had even one hiccup shooting it. Buy quality steel cased and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast