Thread: Need help with ID of two 9mm cartridges

Feedback Score

Need help with ID of two 9mm cartridges

Hi folks

I have been going through my stuff, sorting odds and ends and I found some loose unfired projectiles which were previously in loaded cartridges. I have pictures of the cartridges at the time that the bullets were removed, so I am hoping that the images can be used to identify the cartridges. These are all 9mm.

Number 1 is this cartridge stamped AMT97:

Number 2 is this cartridge stamped FC (small hollow point, no post inside):

If someone can ID these rounds, it would help a lot.
    Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Did a quick Google search and came up with this document: http://gigconceptsinc.com/files/hstcodes.pdf

There's a couple of clues there. The AMT is on the first page, which states it is South African manufacture, which could help track down who made it.

The FC is on down in the document, which shows that it is US manufacture, probably Federal Cartridge.

Here's some more:

From here: Municion.org

Doesn't tell a lot about the projectiles, but there's at least some clues.
    Last edited by bulbvivid; 02-28-10 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by tracker722; 06-20-11 at 10:44.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The FC cartridge is Federal Classic 9mm +P+. 9BP is the stock number if I can recall. It was a popular police load in the 90's. We used them in our P7M8s. I am pretty sure they were 115 grain HPs.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    The FC cartridge is Federal Classic 9mm +P+. 9BP is the stock number if I can recall. It was a popular police load in the 90's. We used them in our P7M8s. I am pretty sure they were 115 grain HPs.
    You are correct, sir. It was 115gr and here is a IWBA test from 1990:

Sig P226:
    Velocity: 1237fps
    Bare Gel: 11.25" / .53"
    Heavy Clothing: 10.6" / .62"

This is not a maximum expansion measurement as all the ammo companies put out. This is the "recovered diameter" FBI measurement which measures the expanded bullet at its greatest expansion diameter, and its smallest expansion diameter and takes the average. It is a much more accurate measure of wound volume as in most actual shootings the recovered bullets are not perfect little flowers, but are bent all over and the petals are often folded back against the bullet trunk.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, fellas, that information matches up with what some guys have told me on another forum.

Feedback Score
    As an aside, I love that the AMT-97 round's bullet is so polished your reflection can be seen in the picture: