Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P with Insight MRDS

Feedback Score
    Necropost/One Year Update:
    I am currently on my third Insight MRDS, and it is NOT being used for concealed carry at this time as it has proven unreliable. Optic number two arrived before I left town for a while last spring, so it wasn't ran hard or often this year. According to my gun book 1,598 rounds total prior to failure. Is anyone else crushing these things left and right? Or am I a statistical anomaly?

I'm considering picking up a dual-illum RMR as a replacement, as I'm still a believer in the concept. Hoping the lack of electronics will increase the longevity of the optic.

FWIW, Insight has been awesome about getting replacements out to me, but I'm starting to wonder how many times they or I will be willing to have the same phone conversation...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I purchased the Leupold DeltaPoint.
    Got it on a Wednesday, installed it and headed to the range.

As I was shooting it, it was turning off and turning on under recoil.

The next day I removed it and shipped it back for repairs.

It's been fine every sense but it really did leave a bad taste in my mouth getting a brand new LEUPOLD product and it failing right out of the box.

I'll be getting Trijicon from now on.
    Last edited by dougwg; 03-01-11 at 10:24.
    Doug Holloway
    ATEi

Feedback Score
    dougwg--We have had exactly the same thing happen with a Trijicon RMR--it is the nature of small electronic devices. I would much rather have an electronic device fail rather immediately and get it repaired/replaced, then have it randomly fail after several months of use...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Absolutely, but remember, I'm human.

I've never had, nor seen myself, an issue with the RMR.

But I have with the DeltaPoint.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Going to 'Lazarus' this thread. Who has an M&P that has a milled slide with an Insight MRDS on it. Maybe Doug could chime in.

I just received one of these RDS's yesterday. It's a 3.5 MOA but now it's got me curious about their 7 MOA version & using that on the M&P. I haven't heard anything negative as far as durability goes with the Insight but there is no where near enough of these out their on a handgun compared to RMRs so finding any user feedback has been null and void practically.

I am sure someone will ask , "Why not just go with the RMR?" and that's understandable. I am not trying to justify my purchase. Just would like to know who has used one of these long term on a handgun. Especially if you've had it milled to the slide.

Thanks,

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    ... The problem with JPOINT's is that that they are just not reliable. If you are going to mount a RDS on a pistol, it really needs to be one of the new "ruggedized" models that are being built for a .Mil contract. This means that the Insight MRDS and Trijicon RMR are your best choices. C4
    I just had an RMR malfunction yesterday after about 750 round through a 40 cal CORE.

I am almost certain it was the battery contacts, but the sight was on tight. I would fire one round using the red dot, the next round the red dot was "gone, " fire it using the iron sights and the red dot would come back on. repeat...

I shimmed the bottom of the battery with a piece of electrical tape yesterday. Hopefully this will hold it more securely in place. I will test it Monday.

My Eotech/Insight MRDS should be here at the end of the month.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yes, as most people NATURALLY point shoot when under stress (like in a gun fight). ...C4
    The Officers used their sights in the most successful defensive shootings (gunfights) I have investigated. Of course this depends on distance. Inside 3 yards most don't fully extend their arm/firearm. I wish I could tell you that at 3 yards or less they properly used a retention/speed rock... whatever you want to call the position, but most didn't.
    Last edited by az doug; 04-13-13 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    I just had an RMR malfunction yesterday after about 750 round through a 40 cal CORE.

I am almost certain it was the battery contacts, but the sight was on tight. I would fire one round using the red dot, the next round the red dot was "gone, " fire it using the iron sights and the red dot would come back on. repeat...

I shimmed the bottom of the battery with a piece of electrical tape yesterday. Hopefully this will hold it more securely in place. I will test it Monday.

My Eotech/Insight MRDS should be here at the end of the month.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
    I know Doug/ATEI doesn't favor the CORE but am interested in your feedback when you get it setup. And that's the thing I like about the CORE. It may not be the best at fixing ONE type of optic firmly (all heresay, haven't used one) but it gives the option of trying multilple MRDSs without being locked into one as you would with a proprietary milled mount for one type of optic

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 04-13-13 at 17:41.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Wow, I never thought I'd see this thread again! Three years later finds me unconvinced that mini red dots in general (exception: T1) are durable enough for duty use on a handgun. I'm on MRDS #5 and have since stopped mounting them to any of my pistols. Maybe I just have super bad luck, but the longest-lived of the MRDSs lasted ~1600 rounds of 9mm on my M&P. Now, it was mounted to the handgun via dovetail mount instead of being milled in; I'm not sure if that matters for durability purposes or not. Others can chime in on that aspect since I'm pretty much done with this experiment for now. Hopefully you have better luck than I did, but if you don't, rest assured that Insight will take care of you. Each of my 4 replacements was sent free from Insight after returning the broken optic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Rat View Post
    Wow, I never thought I'd see this thread again! Three years later finds me unconvinced that mini red dots in general (exception: T1) are durable enough for duty use on a handgun. I'm on MRDS #5 and have since stopped mounting them to any of my pistols. Maybe I just have super bad luck, but the longest-lived of the MRDSs lasted ~1600 rounds of 9mm on my M&P. Now, it was mounted to the handgun via dovetail mount instead of being milled in; I'm not sure if that matters for durability purposes or not. Others can chime in on that aspect since I'm pretty much done with this experiment for now. Hopefully you have better luck than I did, but if you don't, rest assured that Insight will take care of you. Each of my 4 replacements was sent free from Insight after returning the broken optic.
    You're not alone. This article says he is on his 4th RMR, but I believe he is up to 5 or 6 now...

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=794
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast