Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painting the engraving

Feedback Score

painting the engraving

i just had yt fn fal durocoated a flat black..what is your technique for filling in the engraving,fire,safe,rear sight ladder,gas markings,etc...i have some white acrylic paint in a tube to try but want to wait to hear from you guys..i did china white once but it seems to disappear pretty fast..thanks to all who reply

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think Brownell's sells tactical crayons for this purpose. I am sure someone else here will post the link.

The depth of your engravings is important. I have a LMT lower that I used regular crayons on and it still looks good after three years of use.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    My personal favorite is the Sharpie brand paint markers

I've used silver to fill in serial numbers and laser etchings, and of course, white and red for 'safe' and 'fire'.

Most craft stores, possibly Lowe's / Home Depot, or order online. Depending on needs, use either the fine-point or extra fine-point.
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 02-27-10 at 01:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    I think Brownell's sells tactical crayons for this purpose. I am sure someone else here will post the link.

The depth of your engravings is important. I have a LMT lower that I used regular crayons on and it still looks good after three years of use.
    Laquer Stiks
    An AK guy dabbling in an AR world.

Videos:
    Concealed Means Concealed!
    CMC Part II

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
    My personal favorite is the Sharpie brand paint markers

I've used silver to fill in serial numbers and laser etchings, and of course, white and red for 'safe' and 'fire'.

Most craft stores, possibly Lowe's / Home Depot, or order online. Depending on needs, use either the fine-point or extra fine-point.
    What's the process for removing excess paint from the non-recessed areas?

I know rob_s would kick my ass for doing this, but I've always wanted to colour in the fire selection indicators.

Feedback Score
    That would depend on what was used for the coloring. I know that mineral oil works for the Laquer Stiks. Check the label of whatever was used to see what is recommended for clean up.
    An AK guy dabbling in an AR world.

Videos:
    Concealed Means Concealed!
    CMC Part II

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I'm considering the paint-pens...

What I'm curious about is what I use to clean up the receiver from overage is going to eat up the receiver's finish.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-02-10 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    go to a modeling store and buy testors enamel paint in your choice of colors paint thiner to clean up around the edges. a little thinner on a q tip won't hurt anything and if your worried uses Hoppes cleaner instead it wil work as well. get a fine tipped brush and you gtg. I will post a picture tonight
    Last edited by dashotgun; 03-02-10 at 12:03.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashotgun View Post
    go to a modeling store and buy testors enamel paint in your choice of colors paint thiner to clean up around the edges. a little thinner on a q tip won't hurt anything and if your worried uses Hoppes cleaner instead it wil work as well. get a fine tipped brush and you gtg. I will post a picture tonight
    Sounds like I've found a fun weekend project.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dashotgun View Post
    This...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast