Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC and Larue Rails...

Feedback Score

KAC and Larue Rails...

Guys,
    I have been searching this forum, and still have a couple questions, before I pursue a rail for my 16" 6920.
    I'm THINKING of going with a 7" Carbine length rail, and keeping my OEM pinned FSB on this rifle.
    Anyhow, I was looking at the Larue, and it looks good, BUT I WISH it had a continuous top rail.
    SO, I was thinking about the KAC URX, and I MIGHT be able to find one. Is the URX hard to find because it is fairly NEW, or is it hard to find, as in "STONER RIFLE Hard To Find"????? (IOW, is the URX ALWAYS going to be hard to find, due to it not being available to civilians?????) What's the deal with the URX????

Anyhow, I would like to know if anyone here has pics of an INSTALLED URX, and preferably the 7" URX installed on a rifle??????
    Finally, I read a quote from a website that said this about the URX, in comparison to the other big name rail makers:

"Unlike other free-float systems available from LMT, Daniel Defense, Larue Tactical, or KAC itself, the lower can be removed for easy cleaning of the barrel. The lower half slides into rails in the upper half and is locked into position with 1/4"-20tpi hex nuts."

Would it be safe to assume that the above feature of the KAC URX is probably the ONLY advantage that it holds over other rails??? (of course, the continuous top rail being the only other advantage)...
    Is there ANY other advantage the URX has over the Larue or DD rails???

I'm trying to convince myself to go with the Larue, but damn how I've always wanted a KAC. The URX was recently mentioned to me by one of our good members here, and I have been mysteriously drawn to it...
    Thanks for the help, and I would love to know if anyone can help me find pics on the web of the KAC URX.... Heck, I can't even find pics of a 7" Larue rail on a rifle, except for USMC03's wonderful pics, but they all have TD rail panels installed (NICE pics nonetheless).
    Thanks for any help guys...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You may want to take a look at the DD Lite series if you are looking to get rid of the rail-to-receiver gap. I'll see if I can dig up a picture that shows the DD 7.0 Lite for you that doesn't have an optic bridging the rail and upper.

ETA- Here is a picture that shows both styles of rail. The uppers were only hand tightened for this picture, and then uninstalled, so they may not look exactly lined up.

The URX is certainly nice, but I'm not sure who has any for sale. Someone else may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Troy is relatively inexpensive a rock solid. It's one of the best values in rails. It also allows you to not "break the seal" on your factory upper as you only have to cut off the delta ring, but not remove the barrel nut. It also gives the unified top rail like the DD lite rail. The DD is harder to put on, but a little more refined in terms of fit and finish.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much Stickman, I have been following your other DD rail thread, and I REALLY appreciate all you do for us on this forum.
    Thanks to everyone else as well.
    I will tell you guys, that I definitely want a NICE rail, that has good fit and finish.
    Not looking for the cheap way out, and not looking to compromise here.
    I realize I MAY have to compromise, as there is not really any rail out there (that I know of), that has a "continuous" top rail, with no "rail to receiver gap".
    I REALLY wish the Larue 7.0 had a continuous top rail, as I'd buy one in a SECOND.

Ultimately, I'd LOVE to have a KAC 7" M4 Carbine URX, as THIS is THE model I really want, and I usually am not happy until I finally get the product I really like.
    Every time I try to compromise I end up losing $$, and selling off the item I bought and didn't really like.
    Anyone here KNOW anything on the KAC URX's???
    Paul? from MSTN told me via email that they have not really officially started making?/selling? the 7" M4 Carbine URX's. Apparently they are only selling the SR-25 URX's, and will eventually get around to the 7" URX, but not sure when.
    Anyone else have any more definitive info on the URX???

Was the URX JUST released at SHOT or something??? I would like to know anything I can find on this rail. It's pricey, but NICE, and exactly what I'm looking for, best I can tell from my internet research...

How about the Daniel Defense shown above? Does it have ANY fasteners or mounting method which WILL NOT ALLOW it to rotate after it is installed on the rifle? I had someone here on this forum tell me how his DD rail loosened up on him, and I really prefer a rail that CANNOT loosen, like the Larue, which has the "Anti Spin" or "Anti Rotational" piece in the mix...

Thanks for any help guys.

Looks like the only rails I'm interested in, with "continuous" rail across the top, are the DD Lite and the KAC URX...
    I probably will never be happy until I score a URX...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Good call Sinister.

I was coming back after dinner to add those as other rails which may also fit the bill for him. They offer several additional choices in a variety of price ranges.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Paul Cataldo,

The DD Lite series is the same style that was recently selected by SOCOM for the SOPMOD RIS II trials. Its not coming loose, nor is it rotating. Additionally, its one of the easiest rails to install, though it does still require pulling the FSB.

If you truly long for the KAC, you might want to just wait and see what the market turns up. The worst that happens is you don't find it, or you decide that there was a rail that you liked better.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What are you mounting that requries a continuous rail?
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Paul,

Please excuse the "look at all the stuff I can bolt to my gun" picture, but another option for you may be the Vltor VIS. Its available in carbine, mid, or rifle length, and is a one piece unit.

Stick

Feedback Score
    Yes I definitely like the VLTOR upper, and I don't recall price on the VIS, but isn't it around $600-ish, or is that the MUR system??? I do like the like the look of that VIS, and I've always thought that it resembled the bold lines of the Stoner rifle uppers too.

I don't mind spending some jack, but I was really feeling like $400-ish for the KAC rails was a lot!

I really am not interested in anything from Troy or MI. Samson MIGHT be a possibility.

I don't have an EXTREME need for a continuous rail, but I love the look of them, and regardless of how some guys on this forum like to bash me, I just don't spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a weapon or weapon mods, that don't look good to me.
    Now I don't feel like EVERYTHING has to look like a million bucks on my rifle, but I certainly don't spend top dollar on quality accessories if they don't look great to me.
    I have always wanted to build a rifle that had a continuous rail, and I have always wanted a KAC rail as well, and now I've built 3 AR's ALL without continuos rails.
    It is time I built one the way I WANT it.

Larue is still appealing to me, even though it's not continuous. Maybe I'll go with Larue until a URX is available... DD is looking good too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast