Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assembling the parts, critique anyone?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In my experience, the 16" Centurion lightweight profile barrel is a happy medium between the accuracy of a Noveske SS and lifespan of CL hammer forged barrels. My old Noveske Afghan could probably out shoot it with proper glass, but it was much heavier despite being shorter and it's projected life span is shorter. Centurion HF barrels have a tapered bore so in theory they should be among the most accurate chrome lined barrels available. Monty makes some pretty impressive accuracy claims with this barrel and so far I'd say in the hands of a better shooter, one could corroborate those claims.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 03-01-10 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    To be fair, though. I see nothing on FZ's site or at Rainier about the FZ BCGs being high pressure tested either.

One could say I should just get a BCM Auto and send it to FZ, but I don't have THAT much money to spend, hehe.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=failzero
    I think it's being mentioned there that they use mil-spec bcg's that are mpi tested.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Have you ruled out a Daniel Defense barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    Have you ruled out a Daniel Defense barrel?
    Nope, not at all. I just haven't read much about them. Most of my choices were based on 'buzz' that I could pick up between here, TOS, and various other places.

If they're worth looking into, then I'll definitely consider them.

I failed to mention in the opening post that while this rifle is mostly for plinking, some competition, and maybe hunting- I also want it to be suitable for bug-out situations. That's why I've been looking at the fail zero coatings.

Again, thanks for the help guys!
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    In my experience, the 16" Centurion lightweight profile barrel is a happy medium between the accuracy of a Noveske SS and lifespan of CL hammer forged barrels. My old Noveske Afghan could probably out shoot it with proper glass, but it was much heavier despite being shorter and it's projected life span is shorter. Centurion HF barrels have a tapered bore so in theory they should be among the most accurate chrome lined barrels available. Monty makes some pretty impressive accuracy claims with this barrel and so far I'd say in the hands of a better shooter, one could corroborate those claims.
    Since you brought up the lightweight barrel...

Is there any real practical difference between using a mid-weight barrel and a light weight? Would the light weight potentially wear out faster due to less heat dissipation?

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    for your purposes probably not. In theory, yes. This is not something I worry about much with a chrome lined HF barrel. I might if I had a select fire weapon, but this isn't a free state.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    for your purposes probably not. In theory, yes. This is not something I worry about much with a chrome lined HF barrel. I might if I had a select fire weapon, but this isn't a free state.
    So, in other words, a lightweight barrel will serve me just fine- even with the occasional "let's see how fast I can pull my finger" mag dump?

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    WOOT

Picked up my lower today, it's now sitting on the table in front of me. I am imagining what it will become.

Only question is...what part next?

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Thought I might give an update here. I've been working away in my basement. I've made some changes here and there to parts, but so far this is what I have assembled:

Lower
    Spikes Tactical forged lower, did the set screw mod so that rear detent doesn't pop out
    Magpul ASAP plate
    Magpul ACS stock
    Magpul Enhanced trigger guard
    Magpul MIAD, large back strap, no finger ridge
    G&R LPK
    ST-T2 Buffer

Upper
    Spikes Tactical forged flat top upper w/m4 ramps
    BCM gunfighter, mod 4 (medium latch)
    Laser Engraved ejection door (MOLON LABE)

Next month I'll be ordering Centurion Arms' CHF lightweight barrel with the gas black pinned, and the rainier XTC

As far as things that have changed, I'll be getting the new Spikes Tactical slim rail when it becomes available. Also, instead of the spikes BCG, I'm ordering the BCM M16 BCG with the ionbond. The light will be the Elzetta M60 with a Gear Sector mount.

Since I wrote up the original plan, I've gotten to go look at and experiment with various optics. I have decided not to use the RX series due to low light performance, and will be using an Aimpoint ML3 w/ADM cantilever mount (going to use the package deal from Grant)

Appreciate all the info I've gathered here. Ya'll have been extraordinarily helpful.

The Everyday Marksman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12