Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeroing A2 Irons for 50 Yards?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can use this target for zero at 25\300 meters.

http://www.macksworld.net/external/t...%20%23M16W.pdf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Thanks all! One stupid question for markm: why should I zero with the narrow aperture? Won't this provide a different POA than the large aperture (which I'll be using 99% of the time)?
    its easier to center and more consistent, everything you need when you zero

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WGG View Post
    You can use this target for zero at 25\300 meters.

http://www.macksworld.net/external/t...%20%23M16W.pdf
    A very recent article by a Army Infantry Major (Take back the Infantry half Kilometer) stated that a 25/300 yard zero will result in misses at 100 and 200 yards due to the trajectory being too high (8-15 inches) at those intermediate ranges. All of the former SFOD types that are now trainers recommend a 100 yard zero, but the most practical is the 50/200 yard zero, at least for me for the past few years. It gives you a maximum height in trajectory within 2 1/2 inches from barrel to POA at 50, and again at 225 yards. It is also advocated in the article.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Thanks all! One stupid question for markm: why should I zero with the narrow aperture? Won't this provide a different POA than the large aperture (which I'll be using 99% of the time)?

The Army did a study that determined that the size of the aperture being used was based solely on individual preference. I like the smaller aperture since the larger one has too much "air" in it for me. In my mind, it's akin to the "aim small, miss small" axiom.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 03-03-10 at 21:06.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't know anyone who can hit anything with that stupid large app. I'm a pretty damned good rifle shooter... and when I shoot the large app... it's like shooting blind folded.

The large app is certainly not on the same plain.... I don't know where it is, but I can't bring myself to waste the ammo trying to figger it out.
    Last edited by markm; 03-03-10 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    Zero with the small app., I'm not gonna reference the marksmanship FM, but with a 25/300 zero it does recognize adjusting aiming points at 150-200, essentially its 150-waist, 200 belly.

With modern weapons there is no need for the large app., at one point it may have been good for nbc firing and moving targets. With modern optics its pretty much outmouded

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks all - going to do the mods for Improved Battlesight Zero and then hit the range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12