Thread: Glock 23 light strike issues

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Glock 23 light strike issues

I was shooting a friend's G23 last weekend and experienced several light strikes. The ammo was Sellier & Bellot full metal jacket. Out of 50 rounds I got 4 light strikes. On each of those 4 cartridges, I observed a faint striker indent on the primer. When I loaded those rounds back in the gun and attempt to fire them again, all would fire on the second strike.

Does anybody know if that's a primer issue with the S&B rounds or does the G23 have a dislike for certain "hard" primers?

BTW, the gun was a second generation pistol, very lightly used, probably had only 200 rounds through it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sam; 03-03-10 at 16:18.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    First S&B is famous for having hard primers. Second I would still pull the firing pin out and make sure the firing pin channel is clean. If a bunch of oil got in there at some point dirt and crap has probably collected and is interferring with the firing pin.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had that happen with my G19 shortly after I got it. I pulled out the firing pin and found a bunch of brass shavings in the firing pin channel.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Is it stock? Has the trigger been "lightened"? If not then I would bet the previous posters are on the money.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sounds like you have received very good advice. Let us know if cleaning and drying the firing pin channel works out.

O

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The gun is stock.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the firing pin channel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The gun is stock.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the firing pin channel.
    If you have more than about 5K rounds or even just 5K dryfires on this gun I'd replace the firing pin spring or even use an extra power striker spring for using S&B ammo.
    Glock has two other firing pin springs for this purpose but they aren't available on the non-LE market. Wolff might still make a stronger firing pin spring. It will increase the weight of the trigger.

Also be sure that your recoil spring is up to par. As the recoil spring wears it can cause problems going completely back into battery especially if you're using a stronger than normal firing pin spring.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    We used to run a fleet of G23's and had a lot of problems with light strikes. These were gen 2's. (If you have a gen 2, check the slide takedown lever spring...if its "hourglass" in profile, you should change it before it breaks, the takedown lever departs, and the slide goes off the front of your gun sometimes...seen it happen several times.)

We did the clean-out-and-dry the striker channel AND BE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE PLASTIC CHANNEL LINER. It worked on some, but we still had problems.

We then replaced all the recoil springs (and all the springs on the guns). They were getting weak and would not allow the slide to go all the way into battery, particularly if people were holding the trigger back during recoil to achieve that perfect trigger reset. Test this yourself by DRY firing the weapon and hold the trigger back. When you work the slide, ease it forward. If the recoil spring is good, it should overpower the trigger bar engaging the striker. If its getting weak, the striker spring can retard the forward momentum of the slide, contributing to the slide not going all the way into battery.

Check the primers, if they are struck a little off center - high, its because the barrel wasn't tilted all the way up into battery, because the slide wasn't completely forward. I would usually take the ammo and load it and fire it just fine.

Changing recoil springs worked on all except on gun. Female shooter, kept having problems. We could not duplicate it, but it still happened, so we pulled that gun out of service.
    "To be born free is an accident; to live free is a privilege; to die free is a responsibility."
    - Richard Secord

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Gun had less than 200 rounds before I shot it. Judging from the last statement, I might have to take this gun to my friend at Glock to him go over it.