Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense lightweight upper assembly

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That's correct. It use 3 set screws.
    What did you use on the set screws? I've used red loctite or rocksett in the past on well protected DD gas blocks, this time around I'm just using elbow grease and staking to keep the screws from backing out.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    What did you use on the set screws? I've used red loctite or rocksett in the past on well protected DD gas blocks, this time around I'm just using elbow grease and staking to keep the screws from backing out.

Right now, no locking fluid is used yet. I've only mechanically tighten them. I will test fire the upper and when I'm satisfied with the functioning, I will make the attachment more permanent.
    Last edited by Sam; 03-08-10 at 16:12.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Right now, no locking fluid is used yet. I've only mechanically tighten them. I will test fire the upper and when I'm satisfied with the functioning, I will make the attachment more permanent.
    I might have gone a bit overkill on that block, it was damned near press fit and with the dimple and cup tipped set screws, it is going NOWHERE without a substantial hit. Interestingly, I get no detectable gas leaking from this block whereas I got pretty used to seeing gunk around my FSBs. I think there is room to add a taper pin if I was paranoid about the strength.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sam- Glad the rail went to a good home

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1220 View Post
    Sam- Glad the rail went to a good home

buckshot - Thanks for the deal. The Troy rail is the easiest to install so far.

Here is the finish product with the Burris Fastfire II red dot sight on top of a YHM 1/2" riser.

The lower is a Charles Daly receiver with DPMS LPK.

I hope to test fire it tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Sam; 03-15-10 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    You go through all the trouble of putting a lightweight upper together and then go and throw a big 'ol RDS on it? Heh, looks very nice, I bet it handles great! I need to send my clunky 16" MRP barrel into ADCO for a diet. I'm diggin' these lightweights.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    You go through all the trouble of putting a lightweight upper together and then go and throw a big 'ol RDS on it? .
    Hehe, thanks. That RDS is huge. Seriously, I got it sitting around and don't have a gun to put it on so I am testing it on this upper. If it works good and doesn't break after a couple of magazines I may leave it on here for awhile. I also may swap the Aimpoint T-1 from my SBR and put it on this upper.

Last edited by Sam; 03-15-10 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I don't have a fancy electronic scale, but using an old bathroom analog scale, the gun as pictured came in at 6 lbs.

For comparison, my standard DD M4 with an Aimpoint ML2/Larue mount and the same TLR-1 light was right at 8 lbs.

Edited to add: Finally got a chance to test fire this upper at the indoor range. It was sweet. Functioned 100%, no hiccup. Got it roughly zeroed in at 20 yds, that's the farthest position . Hoping to be able to get it zeroed and verified at 100 yds. this weekend at the gun club.
    Last edited by Sam; 03-17-10 at 05:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Hey SAM, what size is that riser on the fastfire?
    Have you got a chance to run it yet?
    I am looking at one but want to see how well it works before dropping the $$$.

Thanks

Dave

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Dave:

Yes, I finally got to shoot it last night. I updated my post above. It shot very nicely within the 20 yd. indoor range. I didn't even have to adjust the iron sights, only tweaked the red dot two notches. When I get a chance, I'll take it outside and verify the zero at 100 yds.

The riser on the Fastfire is 1/2" high. On this upper with the Daniel Defense iron sights, it placed the red dot just on top of the front post. I guess you would call that an absolute cowitness. The riser is manufacturered by YHM but they're out of the item for at least 6 weeks. I stumbled on it at:
    http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index...roducts_id=566
    Last edited by Sam; 03-17-10 at 15:33.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast