Thread: Help matching Duracoat?

Feedback Score

Help matching Duracoat?

Not FDE, I'm talking actual coyote brown, to match this:

I'm trying to find the right paint color to hit a set of handguard rail covers with. I'm leaning towards Magpul XTM covers and painting them with this shade of duracoat:

The idea being to end up with something (close to, if not exactly) like this:

Given the uncertainty between which color shade is which (regarding desert brown/desert tan/FDE/CB/etc), do you guys think any of these colors in the following URL would be a better match if not the one I selected above?

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_browns.html

I've got no experience with this, so I'm trying to make sure I pick the right shade that will match closest once the handguards dry.

The main goal is to have Magpul XTM rail covers in that color, since the FDE they offer is too light. I'll settle for something else in the meantime.
    Last edited by SnakeX13D; 03-04-10 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    You could always contact Lauer Custom Weapons for color matching advice.
    They are the "the sole manufacturer and #1 source for DuraCoat Firearm Finishes."
    They will even make custom colors. If you can't find one that works.
    From the Manufacturer's FAQs:
    DuraCoat is dry to the touch in one hour but, gains most of its final hardness, elasticity and chemical resistance over a 4-6 week period.

I like to lightly blast plastic stocks with a media blast to give the paint a good toothed surface to hold on. Anything I spray with DuraCoat sits for a good month or more before I touch it.
    You can smell the paint kind of gasing off well over a month. After that there is no smell to the finish and it is quite durable for a paint on finish.

Feedback Score
    I've actually spoken to them about it, and they said that to match it I'd need to send them the lower so they could match it accurately. The idea makes me a bit nervous ad I've never sent out a firearm before, so I'm considering it a last resort if I can't bypass and do it on my own.

If I can't match it myself with some help, and if the RitDye technique doesn't work, then that's what I'll have to do.
    Last edited by SnakeX13D; 03-05-10 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about contact LWRC and ask what it is?