Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best source for bulk .308?

Feedback Score

Best source for bulk .308?

New to the .308 game, the local funshop has SA 140rd battle packs for $39.99
    Where do you shop/recommend for bulk? (500-1000rds)
    Thanks
    NRA
    USPSA
    VCDL

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you want something to just shoot then the Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" is cheap and pretty decent. It is not consistent though and you will get some flyers if you are going for accuracy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    AIM Surplus ( www.aimsurplus.com ) is the main supply for the South African 7.62x51mm.

The stuff is drying up and I can't see anything taking it's place....

*Edit.......I just took a look on their home page and they're going to have a price increase Monday morning. If I can't find any at the show this weekend, I'll be ordering Sunday night!*
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh-L
    If you want something to just shoot then the Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" is cheap and pretty decent. It is not consistent though and you will get some flyers if you are going for accuracy.
    Be careful with that stuff. I just repaired an AR15 that had been brought into the shop with it's bolt & carrier stuck in the upper. The casing had a catastrophic failure. Luckily the bbl, upper and carrier survived. The case failure damaged the bolt, extractor, firing pin, cam pin and magazine. YMMV.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I will second the recommendation for the South African surplus. I've been shooting it through my Accuracy Internation sniper rifle at matches (no use wasting good match ammo on man sized steel target at 300 to 450 yards).

I will also second the warning on the Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" .308......I have shot thousands of rounds of their .223 which in my opinion is good ammo (gotm4's post was the first I've ever heard of anyone having a problem....some friends and I group ordered over 10,000 rounds of it last fall....none of us had any problems......I would be interested to hear how G.A's customer service handled the problem...I have heard good things about their customer service, but have no first hand experience).

As it was explained to me (and I can't remember all the paticulars, but hear goes):

The problem with the .308 Canned Heat is that G.A. uses once fired military brass in all their remanufactured ammo. The way it was explained to me is that machine guns (ie. M60's, M240's, etc) don't have a chamber like a standard semi auto rifle does, or it's larger, I can't remember.

Basically when the brass is fired through a machine gun, it should never be used again because the brass swells quite a bit due to the chamber, thus making it weak. I have hear of a few problems with the G.A. .308 Canned Heat.

If anyone has more technical info, feel free to correct me. My memory isn't the greatest, and I received the info over a year ago.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    USMC03...basically the brass stretches because the machine guns have generous headspace.....

Same problems with some reloaded .50BMG....the people didn't resize the brass, it was shot out of an M2 and they commercially reloaded it.....locked up the chamber and bolt of an Armalite AR-50 on the first shot.

Didn't mean to hijack the original thread....my apologies.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    USMC03...basically the brass stretches because the machine guns have generous headspace.....

Same problems with some reloaded .50BMG....the people didn't resize the brass, it was shot out of an M2 and they commercially reloaded it.....locked up the chamber and bolt of an Armalite AR-50 on the first shot.

Didn't mean to hijack the original thread....my apologies.

Templar,

Thanks for the much more detailed technical info!!! It was the headspace / brass stretching issue that I was trying to articulate.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yup, open bolt machine guns are hard on the brass.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Huh, I hadn't heard all that. I shot about 700 rounds of the Canned Heat stuff and never had function problems, just accuracy issues with it. Now all I will shoot is FGMM, Reloads or BH. In that order.

Feedback Score
    I too have had good reliability from Canned Heat. I didn't find it to be especially accurate. Like others have said, there will be flyers. But, to get rounds downrange, it will work reliably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast