Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .260 Remington and the AR10

Feedback Score

.260 Remington and the AR10

Just finished reading an article about the new DPMS LR in .260 Remington. Although the rifle was the prototype, the review showed promise of this cartridge used in this platform. Since the .260 is based on the 08 family, conversion for the AR10 would only require a barrel swap. Really like the idea of shooting the high BC 6.5mm bullets. Brass is readily available too.

Wonder if John Noveske has the time to make me another barrel as the .243 Winchester barrel he made is a 1/2 moa shooter with 107 gr SMK @ 2950 FPS 10 feet from the muzzle.

Feedback Score
    The 260Rem is an interesting round...

I remember it was introduced about 15 years ago, the community had talked a lot about variants of the 308... naturally the 6mm version did extremely well and it was a smart move by Winchester to not go with the original name!

There were a lot of folks that swore if a major name came out with a 6.5-08 it would take over the market -- obviously, it did not.

Names of cartridges are really a bigger deal than a lot of folks think about... the 7-08 did well, but does not enjoy the fame of its siblings on either side. For a long time, manufacturers have been scared of metric names for US cartridges, the American shooters seem to not warm up to the so well -- I have said for many years that if JC had named it the 400 Magnum, it would be one of the most popular pistol cartridges around.

So, the 260 is the 260... but I wonder if it would have not done better with a metric name? Many shooters know the 6.5 and want one... but Remmy has played the "name game" before with okay results: 280 Rem --> 7mm Rem Express --> 280 Rem

In any case, the 260 is a great cartridge with outstanding ballistics. I for one hope to see it in use more and more...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    I call John and asked about the availability of a .260 Remington barrel for the AR10. He said hopefullly by year's end. He is pretty much swamped with orders right now with his existing catalog. Oh well, I guess it would make one hell of a Christmas gift!

In the meantime, I was thinking about have a .260 Remington barrel made for one of my Savages. However, I really do not think I will gain anything over my 7mm WSM Savage that is long-throated especially for the Berger 180 gr VLD which has a BC of .698. Talk about shooting a laser beam from a bolt gun.........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 223Rem
    In the meantime, I was thinking about have a .260 Remington barrel made for one of my Savages.
    Numrich has Savage barrels in 260 Remington right now for $135. It got one, and it looks great. It will be a while until I am able to install it though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-180
    Numrich has Savage barrels in 260 Remington right now for $135. It got one, and it looks great. It will be a while until I am able to install it though.
    YO ! Thanks for the heads up......surfing over there right now.

Feedback Score
    Fellas,
    is the .260 ammo widely available yet(factory)? I am interested in one down the road but went through the 6.8mm spc fiasco a few years ago and dont wish to repeat that experience.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot
    Fellas,
    is the .260 ammo widely available yet(factory)? I am interested in one down the road but went through the 6.8mm spc fiasco a few years ago and dont wish to repeat that experience.

Thanks in advance.
    What 6.8 SPC fiasco do you speak of........? Considering the cartridge was orignally developed with a small amount of funds and the company that was contracted to help develop the it drug their heels, the 6.8 SPC is doing just fine.

As for the .260 remington, try searching Midway or other big online vendors and see what they have/keep in stock. This will give you a rough estimate of availability/demand.

Ironically, Midway only offers 2 brands with 5 selections of that 15 year old cartridge, but has 3 brands and 10 options of the 4 year old fiasco.

ETA: If you are serious about going with the .260 Remington, it would be prudent to look into handloading and scrap the idea of factory ammo, as most of the ammo is for hunting and not LR precision shooting. The selection of high BC bullets in 6.5mm also warrant the need to handload to achieve optimum performance.

Feedback Score
    What 6.8 SPC fiasco do you speak of........? Considering the cartridge was orignally developed with a small amount of funds and the company that was contracted to help develop the it drug their heels, the 6.8 SPC is doing just fine.
    Well where to begin, first i bought a 6.8mm upper and ammo was not available for around 8 months. Then when ammo was finally available it did not meet the performance standards originally reported, then we discovered that most ammo would not in fact actually feed from standard 5.56mm magazines despite claims that it would.

That is the fiasco i was talking about.

I am not interested in handloading my own ammo so i guess i will move on but thanks for the advice anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot
    Fellas,

Thanks in advance.
    .260 ammo is pretty widely available, it has been around a long time. However, even it it weren't you could simply neck down .308 cases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223Rem
    However, I really do not think I will gain anything over my 7mm WSM Savage that is long-throated especially for the Berger 180 gr VLD which has a BC of .698. Talk about shooting a laser beam from a bolt gun.........
    You would gain a significant reduction of recoil. If all you shoot are five or ten rounds out of your bolt gun, it won't matter. Sit down and shoot 60 to 70 rounds in an afternoon and will be on your way to a flinch.

The 260 Remington has plenty of ballistics horsepower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast