Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Official SCAR Picture Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Bshooter View Post
    Scottsdale Gun Clubs gunsmithing dept. did the snip job. Very clean and professional work. Rifle suffered no loss of accuracy that I can tell. Speaking of which, have you found a favorite projo weight or factory load yet? I've shot various 55, 62, and 75~77 graiiners with no clear "winner" accuracy wise. Since I have a lot of M855, that's what I shoot the most of, but it's nothing special [2"~3" at 100y]. That is perfectly fine for what the rifle + optic combo is intended for, but is not overly "WOW!"
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of using ADCO when my Form 1 comes back, but it's nice to find someone that has already cut a few of them. I haven't found a clear ammo preference as everything I've run through it seems to hold around 2MOA at 100 meters. I shot some Mk262Mod0 through it when I first got it that was pretty close to an inch at 100 meters with a magnified optic.

edited to add: Also Stephen, I'm sure you covered it elsewhere, but how did you do the stripling job on the TD stubby VFG? That looks great and I would like to try that myself. Any links?

Thank you!
    I use a woodburning tool I bought as a kit that came with a fine point accessory tip. It takes a little patience, but it is very easy to do. I do all my gripping surfaces that way now including my handguns. My G19 eats my sides raw when I CCW inside the waistband

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Thanks Stephen, that sounds like a good weekend project to tackle. Good to know on your accuracy and ammo findings.

5B

Feedback Score

SCAR barrel cut down

Nice rig man. I agree that the SCAR platform has a lot going for it, but as a collective improvement over a M4, not necessarily any one specific thing. I shoot it now almost exclusively and am really looking forward to the SCAR-H's hitting the market. That may be the only rifle that could dislodge my Leonidas as my TEOTWAWKI weapon.

Scottsdale Gun Clubs gunsmithing dept. did the snip job. Very clean and professional work. Rifle suffered no loss of accuracy that I can tell. Speaking of which, have you found a favorite projo weight or factory load yet? I've shot various 55, 62, and 75~77 graiiners with no clear "winner" accuracy wise. Since I have a lot of M855, that's what I shoot the most of, but it's nothing special [2"~3" at 100y]. That is perfectly fine for what the rifle + optic combo is intended for, but is not overly "WOW!"

edited to add: Also Stephen, I'm sure you covered it elsewhere, but how did you do the stripling job on the TD stubby VFG? That looks great and I would like to try that myself. Any links?

Thank you!
    Do you know how SGC cut the barrel? Did they use an engine lathe?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voncoz View Post
    Do you know how SGC cut the barrel? Did they use an engine lathe?
    Yes, they cut it on a lathe.

I tried some Harnady TAP 55gr. training ammo this weekend, and had the best groups yet. 5 shots under 2" at 100y with a 4x optic. Seems plenty accurate to me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I tried some Harnady TAP 55gr. training ammo this weekend, and had the best groups yet. 5 shots under 2" at 100y with a 4x optic. Seems plenty accurate to me.
    You gotta get better groups thatn that. Ive gotten .75" groups at 100 yards with crappy PMC ammo with mine....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score

close up photo of cut down

Can you post a close up photo of the pinned flash hider?

Thanks

Feedback Score

Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks good. Hey where did you buy the anti refection screen for your elcan?

Another vote for the SCAR. I'm a died in the wool M4 lover, but the SCAR really is a great handling firearm. The Elcan has held up for me, but there are definitely haters. I'd like to try an ACOG at some point for comparison. Worst aspect is a suitable/acceptable sling attachment method. I'm running mash hooks and while they are okay, they're not perfect. I had the bbl. cut back and the SF brake pinned on. This set up has nearly zero muzzle rise.

Feedback Score
    ... Speaking of which, have you found a favorite projo weight or factory load yet? I've shot various 55, 62, and 75~77 graiiners with no clear "winner" accuracy wise. Since I have a lot of M855, that's what I shoot the most of, but it's nothing special [2"~3" at 100y]. ...
    This has also been my experience with a new 16S - groups are fairly consistant no matter what I feed it. Surprising. All of (my) AR-based shooters have a preference to one weight or another. But the SCAR seems to do well with 55, 62, 69, 75 & 77gr, 223 or 5.56 from Federal, Hornady or Black Hills. (Is this maybe by design..? Hmm...).

As expected the premium stuff will hold tighter but it still does a good job with 'plinking rounds'. I may save some money being happy shooting cheaper stuff!

RK

Attachment 4746
    Last edited by Kubicide; 04-11-10 at 13:16. Reason: Oops - pic thread...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 7 of 115 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast