Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC How accurate should it be?

Feedback Score

6.8 SPC How accurate should it be?

I recently purchased a complete 6.8 SPC rifle from a well known manufacture, out of respect and a current ongoing case, I will NOT state which one it was. I was very excited to order a "piston-driven" AR in 5.56mm. When I called to purchase the rifle on a department letter head I was talked into a 6.8 SPC by a tech at their company. I was told it was "Just as accurate if not more, plus more knock down power." I was a little skeptical but having other 5.56mm it would help justify the new purchase. I read some online and several people praise the 6.8 SPC. So this problem is for them I guess. I started with Remington 115 grain MC rounds, shooting from a table and chair, using a Caldwell rest. Distance was an easy 100 yards. While for the most part I could hit the B-27 (human silhouette) after turning the sight aperture knobs some, I just could not get a consistent group. I was shooting 3 shot groups. I quickly stopped worrying about zero and started focusing on turning out a tight group. Most averaged roughly 6 inches at 100 yards. Best group was just under 4 inches when I moved up to 75 yards. I even tried using a brand new from an Aim-point Dealer that Aim-point personally recommended CompM4. Still, no better. I also tried Hornady 110 grain V max, groupings seem to get more consistently tighter, but still no better than slightly under 4 inches. I felt like I was shooting an AK-47 as far as accuracy goes. So I called the company and after saying its probably me, and I told them my friend who also had a 6.8 SPC in another manufacture, couldn't do any better they told me to send it in and they would look at it. What do y'all think? Bad gun, bad ammo, or is 6.8 SPC a just not an accurate round? Should I ask for the 5.56mm? With the letter head I am not suppose to ever sell the "lower". My point is, if I can't hit the target consistently like I can with my 5.56mm, who cares if it has more knock down power? Thanks for all who answer, and please lets not start the 6.8 SPC vs. 6.5 Grendal debate. I want to know about the accuracy of the 6.8 SPC vs. 5.56mm. Thanks!
    Last edited by IRONFINS; 03-08-10 at 17:55. Reason: Font apparently was not popular, didn't realize how big it was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no reason a 6.8 would be less accurate than a 5.56 with equal ammo. You have a problem with ammo or a problem with a rifle/barrel not problem with the caliber.

The Rem FMJ has not been accurate at all from what I have shot.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    FIX YOUR FONT!!!!!

Feedback Score
    I heard that also about the Rem, but the Hornady didn't do any better. So maybe its a rifle problem? How accurate could one expect using a high powered scope and a bench rest? 1 inch?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have the following rifles: Complete Barrett, LWRCi, and LMT rifles in 6.8 and all shoots 1 MOA or better with reloads with either the 110 grain Vmax and 115 grains SMK. With factory ammo--> 1.5 MOA is the norm.

Feedback Score
    Thanks thmpr, that is what I was told to expect from the 6.8 SPC. I had my buddy shoot the rifle too, to eliminate user error. I was in the Army Infantry, and he was a Marine Scout Sniper. So I guess it is not user error, but trying both rounds and not getting any better results, I wonder if the head spacing is off. The rifle functioned perfectly, no jams, no double feeds, as good as you could ask for, but I would be nervous to engage opposition forces at 100 yards. Not good for a SHTF rifle.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have a Denny's/WOA 18" barrel & shooting it with MBUS sites, I have a 5 shot group just breaking a nickle sized group& covered by a quarter at 50 yards.

I was shooting Hornady & SSA ammo

I still can't believe show well it shoots especially since I was behind the trigger!

Your issue, I would bet is the gun & posibally the ammo .
    Last edited by VLODPG; 03-08-10 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    I have got sub MOA results from several 6.8s I have owned

I honestly don't expect 1/2" groups out of one consistently
    but 3/4" is certainly doable

try a scope and some SSA Prohunter loads
    they tend to shoot well in most guns

I was getting under 1.5" with a brand new Wilson Combat 16" with my handloaded Barnes 95g TTSX and a 1.5x ACOG TA44
    and with an 18" WC all shots touching with a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint and the same loads

all 100 yard groups of course

it's not the cartridge itself..
    Last edited by ccoker; 03-08-10 at 19:44.
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    My 16" (old Kotonics barrel) shoots MOA with SSA, Hornaday, and my reloads.

MadDog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

6.8 How Accurate

My first trip to the range, produced good results. How ever the trigger pull was so bad in compairson to my 1911s, I had a couple of stray shots.

Look around the net, you can find some info on "Barrel Breakin" give that a try. I'm trying it on my 6.8, so far it shoots quit well.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast