Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAUSER

Feedback Score

MAUSER

Is a Mauser a good rifle to turn into a tac driver. And if so how much do you think it would cost:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwfitz View Post
    Is a Mauser a good rifle to turn into a tac driver. And if so how much do you think it would cost:
    You said tack driver and tacks are small so, I will say it does not make good sense to waste money on a system that will require a lot of gunsmith time and money. Look at some of the Remington rifle's especially the Tactical line. Those do shoot.

Feedback Score

mauser

Yes that is what I am doing I just had this thing laging around and wanted to know if it was worth throwing money at.
    I'm looking at the Rem Mod 700SPS compact in 308.I'm hoping for a very accurate hunting rifle and something i can just enjoy playing with at the range and learning how to shoot long range.
    Thank you for your imput, I kinda thought it was a silly question to begin with. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Mausers are one of the best platforms out there to build on. I prefer their controlled feeding vs the push feed of a 700.

Feedback Score
    Precision riflemen have told me that the long lock time of the Mauser action will always limit its ability to run with the likes of a Rem 700 action. I do not know that to be true personally.

However, good pal of mine sunk several thousand dollars to build his ultimate work of art long range rifle on a 98 action and the groups he or I can shoot with it are embarrassing. My son's Bushmaster carbine will out group it at 100 yards. That's just one rifle of course.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Precision riflemen have told me that the long lock time of the Mauser action will always limit its ability to run with the likes of a Rem 700 action. I do not know that to be true personally.

However, good pal of mine sunk several thousand dollars to build his ultimate work of art long range rifle on a 98 action and the groups he or I can shoot with it are embarrassing. My son's Bushmaster carbine will out group it at 100 yards. That's just one rifle of course.
    Poor grouping certainly is not the fault of the Mauser action. The gun either wasn't built correctly or it is shooter error. Incidentally, a Mauser action will run with any bolt action out there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Incidentally, a Mauser action will run with any bolt action out there.
    The OP said tack driver, Mauser and cost. There are rifles that balance those three factors out and it is Remington M700. You will not get a military Mauser to shooting as well as a box stock Rem M700 SPS for $600 total cost.

I do not see any Mauser actions out there "hanging" with any long or short range shooting professionals or sportsmen. If it did, then they would be using them regardless of the cost. Broad generalized statements belong on other sites not M4C.

If you want to be the intellectual apologist for Mausers, I think there are other sites dedicated to turning Turkish 1938's into benchrest rifles for clowns. Why is this here anyways in AR build? When are the dinner plate pictures comming? Am I on the OTS?
    Last edited by rdc0000; 04-23-10 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdc0000 View Post
    The OP said tack driver, Mauser and cost. There are rifles that balance those three factors out and it is Remington M700. You will not get a military Mauser to shooting as well as a box stock Rem M700 SPS for $600 total cost.

I do not see any Mauser actions out there "hanging" with any long or short range shooting professionals or sportsmen. If it did, then they would be using them regardless of the cost. Broad generalized statements belong on other sites not M4C.

If you want to be the intellectual apologist for Mausers, I think there are other sites dedicated to turning Turkish 1938's into benchrest rifles for clowns. Why is this here anyways in AR build? When are the dinner plate pictures comming? Am I on the OTS?
    The only thing that you said here that has any basis in reality is the cost issue. Clownish statements like yours certainly shouldn't be made anywhere. I do agree that this is a strange topic for an AR build section.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    The only thing that you said here that has any basis in reality is the cost issue. Clownish statements like yours certainly shouldn't be made anywhere. I do agree that this is a strange topic for an AR build section.
    Sir, name the national or regional precision rifle event in the USA that has been won with a Mauser actioned rifle in past 20 years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...78928820602859
    From the Ed Brown web site:
    "Since the age of the 1898 Mauser, there has been a demand for the controlled feed action. Winchester has possibly done more than anyone to promote the advantage of the controlled feed design. When hunting dangerous game, where feeding could be a life or death situation, the controlled feed design has become the choice of many professional hunters.

Of course, dangerous game guns have never required a high degree of accuracy. One does not need a half MOA accurate 458 for stopping a charging Buffalo at 15 yards.

Much like reliability has been the realm of the Mauser/Winchester controlled feed action, accuracy has been the forte of the Remington push feed design. One finds the Remington push feed design to be the choice of benchrest shooters worldwide. This is due to the extreme accuracy inherent in the round receiver push feed design.

A Mauser/Winchester type controlled feed long extractor requires the removal of a large portion of the barrel threads where the extractor must go. Removing barrel threads does not provide for the most rigid assembly. This larger receiver cut also removes precious metal inside the receiver which is detrimental to the rigidity, and thus the accuracy of the entire assembly."
    Last edited by rljatl; 04-23-10 at 19:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast