Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should i shoot .223 or 5.56?

Feedback Score
    Online is what I've found to be the best place for ammo.

This is where I get most of my ammo:

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/amm...o-/cPath/12_38

I usually get Brown Bear. It's a little higher quality than wolf.

Sort of a thread hijack, but it might be useful to you anyway... does anyone know if there is any truth to the theory that you shouldn't shoot brass after steel without cleaning? The thought is the steel doesn't seal well in the chamber and the chamber gets gunked up with carbon. Then the brass doesn't chamber right and expands more than the steel, causing whatever damage it would cause.

Edit: a little late on the steel question I guess. BTW, I've heard that they don't use the lacquer anymore. Or at least it's a different kind and doesn't melt off.
    Last edited by JonnyVain; 03-10-10 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyVain View Post

Sort of a thread hijack, but it might be useful to you anyway... does anyone know if there is any truth to the theory that you shouldn't shoot brass after steel without cleaning? The thought is the steel doesn't seal well in the chamber and the chamber gets gunked up with carbon. Then the brass doesn't chamber right and expands more than the steel, causing whatever damage it would cause.

Edit: a little late on the steel question I guess. BTW, I've heard that they don't use the lacquer anymore. Or at least it's a different kind and doesn't melt off.
    I wouldn't say I'm an authority on the matter by any means.

But that's what I've heard is the common consensus.

ETA: Brown Bear, the ammo you cited, is steel and lacquered, I haven't played with either, as I won't shoot steel cased though my handguns, but, let's wait and see what the hive mind thinks.
    Last edited by BWT; 03-10-10 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyVain View Post

Wow thats cheap 1000 rounds for just 269 bucks..
    On cheaper than dirt 1000 rounds is 600 sumthin bucks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevieterry View Post
    ...someone told me it was bad to shoot 5.56 from this, or it could of been the other day around and been .223.
    I said it was bad to shoot 5.56 out of rifle chambered for .223 due to the higher loads. Since yours is chambered in 5.56 it doesn't matter, you can shoot both.

Anyways, congrats on your new acquisition. Hope she brings many years of fun and enjoyment.

Happy shooting...
    WTB:
    SA M-7 Classic blonde stock sets
    Bulgy ((10))/((E)) steel mags
    Bulgy T3 takeoff stock sets
    30-caliber magazine clips?

Feedback Score
    Wow thats cheap 1000 rounds for just 269 bucks..
    On cheaper than dirt 1000 rounds is 600 sumthin bucks.
    Look around a little. Cheaper than Dirt is usually more expensive for any given round. Try this site. It's a search engine for ammo prices.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Look for Federal, Lake City, or Prvi Partizan 55gr FMJ. This is usually 5.56 XM193, which is brass cased mil surplus or overruns. It can be had for around $.36-$.41 per round.

The really cheap Wolf, XXX Bear, or Tula is usually Russian or other ex-eastern bloc steel case ammo. Just my opinion, but XM193 is about as cheap as I want to go for practice ammo. I pass on the cheap steel case stuff.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fdxpilot View Post
    Look around a little. Cheaper than Dirt is usually more expensive for any given round. Try this site. It's a search engine for ammo prices.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Look for Federal, Lake City, or Prvi Partizan 55gr FMJ. This is usually 5.56 XM193, which is brass cased mil surplus or overruns. It can be had for around $.36-$.41 per round.

The really cheap Wolf, XXX Bear, or Tula is usually Russian or other ex-eastern bloc steel case ammo. Just my opinion, but XM193 is about as cheap as I want to go for practice ammo. I pass on the cheap steel case stuff.
    Oh my god! That sight it great! It makes the hunt so much easier. Ammo is real expensive in stores around my way at roughly $.60/round. You might have just saved me about 33%.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Where can i get 5.56 bullets?
    When i go to walmart all i see is the Remington .223's
    At the pawnshop they have some wolf .223's but they are steel casing. but there only like 5 dollars for 20.

i shot about 200 yesterday with no jams, so i guess there fine.
    For 5.56, I would suggest that you get Prvi Partizan m193
    I have also heard that PMC .223 Bronze is OK ( it is a little slower).

these are some places that I like to buy from on the internet:
    http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|845

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/223-556-ammo.php

Feedback Score
    www.aimsurplus.com

isn't bad.

4.59 for a box of 20 .223 Rem Wolf.

If you're a college student like me, damn near 23 cents a round isn't bad.

Plus, plenty of people shoot Wolf, I figure, hell spend money on stuff that counts, like home defense ammo, Optics, the gun it self, the cleaning equipment you use, carrrying cases...

Hell I'll spend a lot of money on basically everything, but cheap ammo means getting rounds down range, so I can live with that.

(I started noticing a theme there...)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/

I think these guys have great prices and selection. Haven't ordered yet, but will be very soon. Time to start stocking up for my class in September.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm no expert on the matter but I bet you will find a number of people on this site who would tell you that just because the barrel is marked 5.56 doesn't necessarily mean the chamber is actually cut that way and you might need to ream it to shoot 5.56. I would at least check the chamber first. I'm sure one of the armorers here can expand more on this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast