Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should i shoot .223 or 5.56?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    www.aimsurplus.com

isn't bad.

4.59 for a box of 20 .223 Rem Wolf.

If you're a college student like me, damn near 23 cents a round isn't bad.

Plus, plenty of people shoot Wolf, I figure, hell spend money on stuff that counts, like home defense ammo, Optics, the gun it self, the cleaning equipment you use, carrrying cases...

Hell I'll spend a lot of money on basically everything, but cheap ammo means getting rounds down range, so I can live with that.

(I started noticing a theme there...)

Yea man thats the way i am.
    Im 19 and just started in college, thats how i bought my gun was from the money my financial aid haha.
    I dont have time to work because i attend 2 different colleges at the same time. So i always have homework. So that means i cant really afford 700 dollar scopes and 17 dollars a box for ammo.
    Thats why i have that tasco scope. Was all i could afford, even though its no use now lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevieterry View Post
    Yea man thats the way i am.
    Im 19 and just started in college, thats how i bought my gun was from the money my financial aid haha.
    I dont have time to work because i attend 2 different colleges at the same time. So i always have homework. So that means i cant really afford 700 dollar scopes and 17 dollars a box for ammo.
    Thats why i have that tasco scope. Was all i could afford, even though its no use now lol.
    I'm 22, and work part time and go to school.

What I do is, I buy higher end stuff, it just takes time. I've learned to get what I want, but be very patient.

I decided on the type of AR I wanted in November, I specced out the entire thing, after doing boat loads of research throughout October/September, reading everything I could get my hands on.

I got my Complete BCM (ETA: Lower, for some reason I typed load?) with Magpul CTR (and I'm waiting on my MIAD) last Friday.

I plan on finishing the AR to a functional level with a BCM Mid Length Upper, Gun Fighter Charging hand, M16 BCG, and troy rear BUIS, in the next two months. I plan on getting the Aimpoint I want by mid/end of summer.

But, I also figure, I'll spend the extra 200-300, wait, and get what I want as far as the AR is concerned.

I also wanted my CWP and a pistol on my birthday when I turned 21 in September of last year... to get the pistol I wanted and my CWP, it ended up being June, before I could take the class, and buy the pistol.

But, it is what it is.

I'd also like to add, buy quality magazines, you can get D&H AR mags for 8.50$

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DH30B

Quality stuff, and as cheap as you can find it.

I'll get some PMAGs sooner or later too.

But anyway, enough of my personal info.
    Last edited by BWT; 03-11-10 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've seen that Stevieterry has had a number of questions pertaining to his newly acquired AR. I think the thread that gotm4 wrote titled, "Now I'm an AR15 owner, now what?" would be a good resource for him to check out. It has a good write up about the main differences between 5.56 and .223. Check out the section titled "About the Caliber"

You can find the thread at this link.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

Personally, I feel that shooting a quality .223 round is good enough, and economical, for most target application. 5.56 has higher gas pressure, which in turn can be harder on your barrel. It really depends on application and how much you are going to shoot per year.

Stevieterry
    , don't be afraid to surf around this website and do some searching. This is one of the best resources on the net for learning about your new evil black rifle. Good shooting and BE SAFE!

P.S. rob_s also has and EXCELLENT thread titled,"Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands" that talks about the 5.56.
    The following is a excerpt from his write up:

"5.56 Chamber
    There is a common misconception that .223 and 5.56 are the same thing. They are not. 5.56 is often loaded to a higher pressure, among other things, which is the most critical issue. There are other dimensional differences pertaining to throat, bullet seat, etc. but what it comes down to in practical terms is that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber but the reverse is not a good idea. Generally speaking the barrel will be marked with one or the other but unfortunately those markings cannot always be trusted. If you think you may ever shoot 5.56 ammunition it is a good idea to get a 5.56 chamber from a maker that can be trusted.
    More information about chamber dimensions can be found here http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm"
    Last edited by Jabroni; 03-11-10 at 12:29.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123