Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Glock or Not to Glock

Feedback Score

To Glock or Not to Glock

I have a question for you guys...

I have a S&W M&P 9 that I like quite a bit. It has somewhere between 7 to 9k rounds through it. Front night site, 5 mags, and a holster plus a single mag carrier. So I'm not terribly invested into.

I've always suspected [read really want to be true so I can blame my misses] that's its one of the guns with a loose barrel and probably isn't that accurate so I want to have an Apex barrel fitted. Along with that an Apex trigger I also want to mill out the slide and put an RDS on it. Add a TLR 1 for good measure.

Now here is the rub. It's been discontinued by SW being replaced by the 2.0. Mags are closing in on 50$ a pop. Aftermarket support is okay but nothing stellar.

If I could go back in time I would have a bought a G19. Cheap mags and basically unlimited aftermarket. I'm thinking about going down that road instead of sinking more money into my smith.

I'd like a G19 frame with a G17 slide/barrel. The way I see it I could do this a couple different ways, a shadow systems MR920L or buy a LEO trade in 17 and chop the frame. I'd keep my smith as a spare and or give it to one of my kids.

What do you guys think? Stick with the smith or join the dark side?
    Die living

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Spending any money beyond springs and ammo on an old Gen 1 M&P 9 makes very little sense to me.

My first composite framed pistol was a Gen 3 G23, and it's been completely reliable, though the trigger is pretty lousy. I've since bought three Gen 2 4" and 5" M&P 9s (at very low online prices) and zero additional Glocks. The G23 (and G23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel) do nothing that the M&Ps don't do better.

If you want to join the Glock collective, then do it. I'm sure the Gen 5s are an improvement on my old G23, though their MOS system seems to catch a lot of criticism. If you want to retire your old S&W and replace it with a new one, then do that instead.
    Last edited by grizzman; 03-29-24 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    2.0 M&P's are excellent.

You know 1.0 & 2.0 share mags, right?

F Glocks unless it's a Gen 5. Be aware the grip angle is a little different than your S&W and other guns if you have others.

M&P 2.0 > Glocks IMO.

Consider HK, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    2.0 M&P's are excellent.

You know 1.0 & 2.0 share mags, right?

F Glocks unless it's a Gen 5. Be aware the grip angle is a little different than your S&W and other guns if you have others.

M&P 2.0 > Glocks IMO.

Consider HK, too.
    I was under the impression that 2.0 mags don't fit 1.0 guns?

Grip angle on the glocks is not something I'm fond of but that's just caused I'm not used to it plus it can be changed a variety of ways.

HKs are great. The VP9 is a pleasure to shoot but not what I'm looking for.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    I really am not a "Glock" fan boy, the grip angle just didn't work for me.

But when I went back to 357 sig with the Underwood Leighi ammo, I looked around and the after market support of Glock is beyond belief. So I called KKM for barrels, Grey Ghost for Glock frames with 1911 grip angle. So now I have 2 pistols that work for me. That is besides the Hi Powers of which I have a cylinder and slide full house and MK3 building me a multi caliber one.

If I were you I would make a few baby steps with the Smith. First I would put a red dot on it and I think the Leupold Delta Micro will fit it. This is the red dot I have on my Glocks and I have been running a red dot since spring 2001. I have a RMR on a CZ, for the wife and the Hi Power will get a red dot on it. But my Glocks will only get the Leupold Delta micro, it is the greatest thing since man invented single malt scotch. People look at it's small size and think oh I need a bigger window with my red dot. What they miss is with training the red dot on the Leupold just seems to float in front of your face.

So soot the hell out of the Smith and dry fire with a red dot and then make up your mind

Feedback Score
    While I'm a "Glock" guy (having used them in LE work since '95), I'm not posting to talk the OP into one or not.
    Depending upon where I might have ended up working, perhaps I'd instead be an S&W-guy, SIG-guy, or any other brand or type.

I feel the frustration in owning/using a handgun which has or is becoming discontinued and may become unsupported for parts or service.
    I've got a few "vintage" handguns and tend to not shoot them much anymore even though I like them a lot (SIG P225; S&W Mods. 60-7 and 66-2).

For me, I've a few main carry semiautos which seem to work for me.

Advice-wise for the OP, I'd look at this as an opportunity to choose two or more handguns which are currently available and hopefully will stay currently available for several more years. Whether it'd be an M&P 2.0 or even two of them or choose one from another brand. There are so many good guns out there whether Glock, S&W, Walther, HK, 1911 double-stack (maybe Staccato, depending on price and how much one shoots); then there's the decision to go with optics or leave the option open by buying models which are optic-ready.

For now, keep the older M&P, at least until you're totally comfortable and familiar with whatever becomes its replacement for primary-choice handgun.

If you like the M&P guns, perhaps stay with them. Let us know what you end up doing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Glock 49 mos is the 19 frame and 17 slide if you go the Glock route. I've got an mr920, the red dot mounting system has been solid for me, don't think you can go wrong either way.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 454308 View Post
    Glock 49 mos is the 19 frame and 17 slide if you go the Glock route. I've got an mr920, the red dot mounting system has been solid for me, don't think you can go wrong either way.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    I agree. The MR920 gives you the mods that a Glock should or could have...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buy the Glock. Join the dark side.

Feedback Score
    I have both Glock and M&P. I would not dissuade you from getting a Glock but if you really like your M&P, just get a 2.0.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast