Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for an inexpensive alternative to the Surefire E1B

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The Quark 123 Tactical is thinner than the Novatac and has simpler programming in that you can set any 2 modes to come on when the head is loose or tight. I use moonlight and max/turbo, but you can choose between various other levels as well as strobe. So basically you ALWAYS get the same mode when the head is tight/loose and no combination of clicks is going to get you anywhere weird.

That said, my daily carry when carrying IWB instead of just ankle is the RaClicky which is very similar to the Novatac and has more "smart" clicky features that generally work, but sometimes can be confusing although the easy yet somewhat tactical mode switching capabilities and construction of the light makes up for it.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A very good friend of mine carries one of these daily, and swears by it. It's been banged around quite a bit but he's never had any problems with it.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...oducts_id=1933

Having used it a few times myself, it sure seems like a nice light. Small, lightweight and well made.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a EDC Basic 60 made before Novatac took over. I am a surefire nut but thsi is actually my all time favorite carry light. I'll get one made by NOVATAC one of these days as a backup I guess
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    One more light to consider is the Nitecore Extreme: http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=440

Here is a review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=198804

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    leaning pretty hard towards one of the Novatacs, except that they don't really seem to offer much in the way of cost savings over the Surefire.

I like the price and reviews of the Quark but can't find a picture of the pocket clip to see if it faces the way I want it to.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    Have you looked at Olight?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    leaning pretty hard towards one of the Novatacs, except that they don't really seem to offer much in the way of cost savings over the Surefire.

I like the price and reviews of the Quark but can't find a picture of the pocket clip to see if it faces the way I want it to.
    The 2x123 Quark has a reversible clip. The 1x123 Tactical Quark sitting in front of me has a LED head UP clip when clipped to a pocket.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    it should face either way. just swap the head and tail. the clip is part of the body

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This has been a great thread. Thanks to rob_s for starting it and for the responses. I've been in the same position as you, rob. I have an E1B and really like it except for the crenelated bezel and pocket clip, which have torn up some pockets. I just ordered a Quark 123 R5 w/o a pocket clip.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The other problem I'm finding is that many of these lights appear designed to appeal to the light-nerds, not actual users. I do not need SOS, strobe, 756 different lighting levels, two types of controls, a twisting head, programming that requires the assistance of NASA, and enough lumens to melt paint.

Other than the clip and price, I am beginning to appreciate the simplicity of the Surefire. I'd like the switch to operate a little differently (light pressure, light light; high pressure, bright light) but Christ some of these other models are confusing as all get-out with the programming, 5 different settings, etc. I feel like if I tap out "shave and a haircut" on the button they'll start projecting Loony Tunes Cartoons on the wall with Bugs & the whole cast!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast