Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building from preban Colt A2 Lower

Feedback Score

Building from preban Colt A2 Lower

looking for advise before I start my first AR build.

I'm from NY so, my only option is a preban lower. I've located a lower but want to make sure i have all the information I need before I jump right into this project.

My concern is matching proper complete upper. I've been searching and searching, but I'm a bit confused on exactly what to look out for. Can I run any upper? What do you guys recommend? I'm looking to build a more tactical rifle (16" barrel, floating rails, grips, sights etc...). I'm also planning on attending training courses after my first build.

I truly appreciate and info you guys can give.

(I swear.. I've searched.. I guess I'm at the point of not knowing what to search for at this point)
    Last edited by JaySpec7; 03-15-10 at 03:20.

Feedback Score
    dude, you don't need a pre ban lower to build an AR in NY...the reason people buy pre ban lowers in ban states like yours and mine is because they can put flash hiders and bayonet lugs on them and have threaded barrels without a pin and welded muzzle device. That lower gives you the ability to put pre ban parts on it and not worry about these silly liberal gun laws. It's perfectly legal for you to buy any lower receiver as long as the butt stock is fixed or pinned in place.

So lets go over this again AWB ban states =

1) No collapsible buttstock
    2) No bayonet lug
    3) No threaded barrel unless you pin and weld a permanent muzzle brake on it
    4) No flash hiders
    5) 30 round magazines are legal as long as they were manufactured before 1994

Here's when things get funny...

Supposedly its illegal to put post ban 30 round mag in your pre-ban AR.

Feedback Score
    As for uppers they are broken down into 3 categories

carbine gas length system (short gas tube)
    mid length gas system ( between carbine and rifle)
    rifle length gas system (long gas tube)

The most common AR's I would say are the carbines with 16 inch barrels
    A lot of people like the mid length because its said to cycle smoother the the carbine gas system. Mid length is favored to be easier on the internals. To tell which upper is carbine its pretty simple carbine has those short looking hand guards. The midlength has uh duhh you guessed it. And the rifle length hand guards are what you see on the m16 in Vietnam.

Also most upper barrels are 1x9 twist. 1x7 twist are better if your shooting a heavier grain bullet. My first AR is a mid length gas system 14.5'' barrel with permanently attached muzzle brake to make it a legal 16'' inch rifle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info herrminator!!!

Although, I am aware of the 5 evils.

I've been back and forth with building from a preban lower or not.

I was at one point looking to just pick up a Colt MT6400C and call it a day. Shops where telling me, IF i purchased a post ban AR, I will not be able to modify that AR in ANY way.

I think I'm at a point where I want a gun that I can freely do anything to. (no, I will not add a bayonet ) It's just sad how a few of us states and towns are restricted!

I'm definitely looking to go the carbine route, 1x7 twist, retractable stock (pinned?)

What do you recommend regarding a post ban lower?

I'm more confused about matching.. I read some things about searless? M4 ramps? Pivot pins?

Are you also in NY?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Going with a pre-ban lower does make life easier as far as being able to get (mostly) what you want.

Going with a pre-ban Colt lower makes things more complicated.

At one point Colt made their lowers different than everybody else's so you'll need to find out if the A2 lower uses a standard size front take down pin or not.

Colt also used larger trigger pins so if you choose to go with an after market trigger your choices will be a bit more limited.

Depending on which generation of pre-ban your lower may also not have a raised mag fence- that may or may not be an issue for you.

Hopefully scottryan or one of the other Colt experts will jump in and explain in more detail.

For a post-ban lower/upper combo you might want to look at the S&W M&P15FT if you're looking to go the "tactical" route.

Otherwise a Colt MT6400C would be a good choice to start with and you can always have it customized once you have a stronger idea of what you want or use it as a back up rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySpec7 View Post
    Thanks for the info herrminator!!!

Although, I am aware of the 5 evils.

I've been back and forth with building from a preban lower or not.

I was at one point looking to just pick up a Colt MT6400C and call it a day. Shops where telling me, IF i purchased a post ban AR, I will not be able to modify that AR in ANY way.

I think I'm at a point where I want a gun that I can freely do anything to. (no, I will not add a bayonet ) It's just sad how a few of us states and towns are restricted!

I'm definitely looking to go the carbine route, 1x7 twist, retractable stock (pinned?)

What do you recommend regarding a post ban lower?

I'm more confused about matching.. I read some things about searless? M4 ramps? Pivot pins?

Are you also in NY?
    I'm in Massachusetts and AR's with the 6 position butt stock are pinned in place so you can't adjust the length. You want m4 feed ramps on your upper and you want a fully auto bolt carrier (yes its legal). I personally have been looking at the Rock River Arms lower with the classic A2 butt stock and the 2 stage trigger all for around $350.

Regardless of all this bullshit you should be able to walk into your gun store and they should be able to order directly from the manufacturer a NY compliant rifle.

Few sites to look at are

www.bravocompanyusa.com
    www.midwayusa.com
    www.brownells.com
    www.cheaperthendirt.com
    www.ar15.com

Feedback Score
    actually as long as you stay away from "evil" features you can modify your post ban AR any way you want. You are actually better off NOT getting a Colt lower because of all the differences in takedown trigger pins etc. And they cost more! Any per ban lower will do. most of the things that cause an ar to run good or bad have to do with the upper anyway. That being said if I did not have 2 pre-bans that I have had since prior to 1994, I would not have issue with building stuff ban compliant. I prefer plain muzzles brakes are LOUD!) and the shorter a1 type stock. another option is to get a collapsible stock decide how long you want it and pin it in place.

Feedback Score
    www.spikestactical.com is great because they will pin and weld a muzzle brake on or remove bayonet lug for additional fees.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I might be mistaking ,But if he adjust the Stock in and pins it and it doesn't meet the Overall Length requirement Of His state, It could be a No-Go.I would Go with the Colt MT6400C, you are set up from the start with a rifle that complies with your states Law.and Other than the Fixed Stock and Pinned Compensator It is a 6920 ,Just different Roll Marks No" Law enforcement ,Military or Export Only" Stamped on the Mag well .

I bought a Mt6400C Lower For My Build For that reason.I am not restricted Here Where I Live, But I really Liked The "M4 carbine " Roll Mark and Every A@@ Hole that Don't Know the Laws argue With Me that because it is Marked with that ,That I can't Own it.I have seen that first Hand with a friend That Has a 6920.

Make sure You are In the Laws of your state And Call Colt and Give them The Serial Number off any Colt Lower You Might Buy ,Before Buying it Just to Make sure it is Indeed a Pre-ban.. Good Luck on your Purchase and Be safe

Feedback Score
    Well the legal lengths are 26 inches overall 16inch barrel minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast