Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gore-Tex Parka

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    FWIW I've never been impressed with the water resistance capability of the old ECWS that I've been issued; better than nothing but not great. It tends to get soaked through in an hour or so. I don't know if the gore-tex gets worn out or what. Check out steepandcheap.com periodically and you can find current gen stuff for pretty cheap, usually about half off, and often in subdued brown or olive type colors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

There are no real USGI ECWCS parkas made in Coyote. ECWCS came in woodland, 3-color desert, and a very rare 6-color desert version, and now ACU.
    They also made an OD ECWCS, parka and trousers. They were CIF issue 1/509 @ Fort Polk JRTC, don't know where else. OPFOR wore OD uniforms, including the old OD wet weather gear & OD 107's. Time frame 2000-2001.

I learned quickly, that the goretex had limitations in the hard rain. As a general rule of thumb, if it was raining I'd wear wet weather gear, snow the goretex with undergarment.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    FWIW I've never been impressed with the water resistance capability of the old ECWS that I've been issued; better than nothing but not great. It tends to get soaked through in an hour or so. I don't know if the gore-tex gets worn out or what. Check out steepandcheap.com periodically and you can find current gen stuff for pretty cheap, usually about half off, and often in subdued brown or olive type colors.
    did you scotchguard it?

Feedback Score
    Do you really, really want goretex? Or, would something more Gucci, practical and covetted be just as good?

Ever heard of ventile? Its what was used before goretex.........in fact it still is used by polar explorers and many, many, of the the worlds Tier 1's. A bit like goretex there are copies of ventile, one company that is much favoured by UK Forces makes an SAS SMOCK out of a ventile equivelant. The smock is highly regarded and bought as a private purchse item by many people.

Here you go have a read about Ventile:

http://www.ventile.co.uk/

Here is SASSKIT, they are happy to export anywhere in the world. They are currently out of stock on the item but will soon have a re-supply of the material and start making to order again.

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/productlist...egory=Clothing

Google with ventile / ventile smock / ventile clothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one of the ECWS - it blows if it is truly raining.

Much better stuff?

Filson
    Arcteryx
    Mountain Hardware

Good luck

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Eddie Bauer used to have what you are describing. I've had one for years. Ripstop Goretex shell. zipper underarms. interior elastic waistband. Two diagonal front zipper slat pockets. A heavy fleece liner that snaps in/out. Zipper hood.

Might want to check them. It was what they called their EBTEK line.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I know they make some quality stuff, but around here it is mostly worn by yuppie douche bags that are solely interested in making sure they are wear the right brand more than anything else.
    Who cares what yuppie douchebags wear? Northface is one of the best on the market. There is no more virtue in NOT wearing a brand then in wearing it. Why let them make the choice for you? If it doesn't meet your needs than all well and good but it's a parka not a fashion statement.

My NF has gotten heavy use for 7 winters and still looks almost new. It holds up to heavy rain and snow, it breathes and is the most comfortable parka I've ever worn.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Who cares what yuppie douchebags wear? Northface is one of the best on the market. There is no more virtue in NOT wearing a brand then in wearing it. Why let them make the choice for you? If it doesn't meet your needs than all well and good but it's a parka not a fashion statement.

My NF has gotten heavy use for 7 winters and still looks almost new. It holds up to heavy rain and snow, it breathes and is the most comfortable parka I've ever worn.
    I ended up buying this.

It has the outer shell and a removable fleece type thing that you can wear separately.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I ended up buying this.

It has the outer shell and a removable fleece type thing that you can wear separately.
    Slayin bodies...good to go!
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    A little late on the post since you've already bought the jacket, but some warnings and info for anyone who followed the thread.

Gore-tex material is a proprietary fabric owned by W.L. Gore. They extensively test all end-products using the fabric, and have the right to kill the production of any product that doesn't pass. After the release of Gen-1 Gore-tex parkas, they were retested and found by W. L. Gore not to be completely waterproof, and were removed from production.

The material has over 2 billion holes per square inch; scientifically proven to be too small to let liquid in, but large enough to let water vapor (i.e. sweat) out. Unfortunately, Gore-tex by itself is not strong enough to make jackets or any other outerwear; it has to be bonded to layers of fabric for strength. That was where the Gen-1 parkas were ineffective. It is literally impossible for water to permeate Gore-tex if properly affixed to fabric, and kept clean. Further, DO NOT SCOTCH-GARD Gore-tex; it will lose its breathability. Use either Granger's XT Proofer, or McNett Revivex Spray-On Water Repellent. These are specifically formulated to treat Gore-tex; when you buy a Gore-tex product, it will have a tag on it telling you specifically to use one of those two water repellents. And finally, you have to treat Gore-tex repeatedly with such a product, called DWR (durable water repellent) every year or six months or it will lose its effectiveness.

Also (and if I start a firestorm here, get over it), The North Face DOES NOT make some of the best outerwear. They were bought by Vanity Fair magazine, and are focused more on "lifestyle" products. (Casual shit.) That said, Arcteryx makes by far the best Gore-tex outerwear in the world. There's a reason why the the Alpha jacket costs $600 dollars, and why the LEAF line is insanely popular. All waterproof zippers; all seams are sewn, folded over the stitches to prevent a thread getting caught on something, and then glued; drawstrings to tighten the jackets inside the pockets so you never have to expose your hands to the cold; a removable device to keep the bottom of the jackets from riding up when using a climbing harness; I could go on all day. They are the most solidly built jackets that exist and are as lightweight and packable.

(Admittedly, the LEAF line is so popular because it's what all the "cool kids" wear these days, but in all actuality, the cool kids that are allowed to wear them are in units or organizations that give it to them for free.) Marmot and Berghaus are also world class. For just walking around, TNF is fine; for serious persuits, look elsewhere.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast