Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot Brass in Shirt, Gunshot Wound to Leg

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by landrvrnut22 View Post
    This is another reason why I start off new shooters with only 1 round in a magazine till they get comfortable, then go to 5, then 10.
    I really like that idea.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I almost was shot at a Pat Rogers class by a ****wad who couldn't control himself which is what dbrowne was referring to. It didn't go into the berm though, it went into the deck between me and another shooter.

I like to call it the "Gom Jabbar." Hot brass is a fact of life...get a straw...suck it up. You're responsible for every round you fire.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Seen some nasty burns from hot brass on the neck. My wife has gotten a few down her shirt, and then she realized why, when I first took her shooting, I told her to wear something that isn't low cut.

Feedback Score
    The worst I've seen was a woman who got a bit of hot 9mm down the front of her shirt. She was shooting a J-frame and had the hammer cocked when it happened. She jumped in the air and literally did a 360, sweeping everyone on the line. Thank god she had her finger straight. As soon as she did it, she realized what she'd done, and that was more devastating than the brass. She put the gun down and went to sit down in the shade, and didn't shoot the rest of the day. She knew exactly how close she came to putting a .38 in one of us. All I remember thinking was "I will NEVER say it's too hot to wear my vest at the range with newbs again."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    It happens...which is why people should exercise a bit of discipline when they end up with burning brass at the range. A little hot brass down the shirt and dudes start dancing and waving their muzzle all over the place.
    hell no dude.. finish the mag, reload, look left, look right, reholster, clear brass from shirt.
    Last edited by skyugo; 03-18-10 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss356 View Post
    I had a .45 shell somehow wedge it's way between my safety glasses and my right temple, I felt the casing bounce off the side of my head after it was deflected by the lane stall, but I didn't feel it start burning till I was sighting in for my next shot. This was just after I bought my first pistol but even being new I still had the common sense to set the 1911 down, muzzle down range, before addressing the problem.

Lesson learned for me, don't hug the right of the stall.
    This is why (figured out the painful way) my local instructor demands we wear a ball cap during range sessions.
    Last edited by jaxman7; 03-18-10 at 22:20. Reason: misspelling

Feedback Score
    I thought you were supposed to just load one round in the gun before handing it to them? Don't know if they'll be surprised and sweep everyone at the range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    This is why (figured out the painful way) my local instructor demands we wear a ball cap during range sessions.
    Hat isn't necessarily a cure-all.

I had a .45 case from a neighbor somehow make it in between my hat and glasses and land ON my eye while we were doing shooting while moving forward as a class. I was able to get my glasses off and the brass off my instantly shut eye PDQ with my off hand while keeping up with the rest of the line and keeping my gun pointed safely downrange with the other. Had a little burn on my eyelid for a few days. Luckily the case wasn't hot enough to scar my eyelid badly or burn my eye itself through the lid.

Last edited by BrianS; 03-19-10 at 00:08.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wow I've been at that range too, with my parents. It is small and cramped but at least it was myself, mom and dad in one room.

I've gotten brass on me before but I shake that shit off or wear the right gear to prevent brass from getting lodged anywhere. The worst is getting a .45 case lodged between my glasses and right near my eye, shooting my Springfield GI indoors while the ****ing brass either hits my slide or my head, hard.

Feedback Score
    I almost got shot at a local indoor range because of this... it's what prompted me to put together a GSW kit for my range bag.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast