Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo costs

Feedback Score
    We need to post links on ammo deals when we collectively find them in the Ammo Links Thread in the Reloading and Ammo Forum. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10750

FWIW: Lots of online ammo sources there.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    A lot of the surplus people used to shoot 10 years ago no longer exists so the only option is Wolf or new brass cased stuff. The ammo companies don't have the cheap competition anymore, and they are still selling everything they make. The only places keeping ammo in stock either have a huge inventory or are priced very high.

I've definately cut down on my shooting in the last year or more (especially pistol). 35-50 cents a round is just too expensive to shoot in quantity. Even "cheap" .45ACP is around 20 dollars a box. I remember not too long ago it was 10-12.

Feedback Score
    Brass is what, zinc and copper? I have some really good insights into the metals market. Outside of powder, processing and G&A expenses if some one could tell me the percent metals used in a round , I can tell you, relative to the base metals markets, how rounds are priced versus historical.

In some ways I'm just appy to be able to get rounds on demand now from mail order. Being able to go Wally World and get some WWB when I want to is a dream.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    The supply around here is starting to get decent except for .45 Colt which I haven't seen in a year.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcmanus View Post
    Just like gasoline, as consumers we have proven to the market that we are willing to pay the higher price, therefore the price wont drop back down to where it was two years ago.
    gasoline dropped to 1.50 in fall 08...
    just sayin.

Feedback Score
    Do any of you buy bulk ammo (500-1000rds is what I'm saying) from Gunbroker or AuctionArms?

What would your pro's and con's be?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    shipping from the individuals is usually much higher in my exp., I prefer to buy bulk from other online retailers.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    I've definately cut down on my shooting in the last year or more (especially pistol). 35-50 cents a round is just too expensive to shoot in quantity. Even "cheap" .45ACP is around 20 dollars a box. I remember not too long ago it was 10-12.
    Me too. This is why I've added a number of .22 options to the fold and a large stock of .22 ammo in the last year:

* An MP15-22 so I can train for AR platfrom
    * A Ciener Platinum .22 conversion so I can train with my 1911
    * Already had a CZ .22 conversion so I could train with my 85 Combat
    * If the M&P pistol .22 conversion comes out, I'll buy that too.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=maximus83;606058]Me too. This is why I've added a number of .22 options to the fold and a large stock of .22 ammo in the last year:

I've been wondering about this. How does a .22 Colt/Umarex or Mp15-22 mimic an Ar-15 platform so that it is helpful for training.

I'm in no way questioning that it does. I just don't know.

With the differences in ballistics, flight path, etc.; does shooting .22lr from an ar style weapon help with training? Thanks,

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Freemnd;606076]
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Me too. This is why I've added a number of .22 options to the fold and a large stock of .22 ammo in the last year:

I've been wondering about this. How does a .22 Colt/Umarex or Mp15-22 mimic an Ar-15 platform so that it is helpful for training.
    Well from my experience, the MP15-22 is similar in size to an AR, enables you to attach milspec parts at many common points (stock, rear sight, has a milspec rail, etc.), and has similar controls and similar operation of those controls. Though as you implied, recoil and shooting characteristics are clearly different, it is a good training platform from the perspective of operating a weapon with similar controls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12