Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPR Build (Pics and Info)

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

SPR Build (Pics and Info)

I just completed my SPR build this week. I was waiting on a couple of small parts to completely finish it up (AAC 51T Brake and custom 3-position gas block) even though I'd assembled it months ago and even shot it a couple times.

Here's the details:

Upper

Mega Machine Billet Upper Receiver
    PRI Gas Buster C/H
    Fail Zero Bolt Carrier
    Superior Barrels 18" Terebraetus Barrel (1/8 twist, polygonally rifled, hard blue coated inside and out)
    MP bolt from Superior pre-headspaced to barrel
    JP/VTAC Rifle Length FF Tube
    Custom 3-position gas block (On/Suppressed/Off)
    AAC 51-tooth Muzzle Brake

Lower
    Mega Machine Billet Lower
    M&A Lower Parts Kit
    Geissele High Speed DMR Trigger
    Magpul MIAD Grip
    Magpul ASAP Plate
    Magpul ACS Stock

Optic/Sights/Light
    Trijicon TA31H-G (Green Illumination)
    Magpul MBUS Front and Rear
    Fenix TA20 with Pressure Switch Tailcap (they unfortunately only make the long curly cord ones right now)
    VLTOR Offset Scout Mount (puts light at 1 o'clock position when placed on the 3 o'clock rail)
    Tango Down Switch Rail Panel (on top rail for ease of use shooting bilaterally)

Here are some photos of it:

I shot a 10-shot group at 100 yards with it yesterday (just for grins). I didn't let the barrel cool between shots and fired each shot about 3-4 seconds after the previous one. I was shooting Lake City 62gr Green Tip because I wanted to see what the rifle was capable of with surplus ammo. I shot this without the can on the rifle. I plan on shooting another group with it to see if it tightens up any.

Center-to-Center (the two fliers):

And if you throw those two out, the other 8 shots:

Feedback Score

Smile

nice...
    Last edited by sickpup; 03-20-10 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    Love it, nice stick! A 18 in. upper is next on my shopping list.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    great looking setup and looks like it shoots to

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

I set out to build a "no compromise" SPR and selected every part for a specific reason.

It would have been easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy an 18" Noveske or Larue rifle but I wanted to build it myself.

I'm sure with a higher power optic and really good ammo I could get a sub-1" 10-shot group out of it. I might try something like that for grins one of these days, just to see what it's capable of.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thats impressive considering its "green tip" ,Trijicon, and rapid fire. I would like to see what it does with the can on with the "green tip". Me likey very much.

Feedback Score
    Nice build. I just finished my own SPR build. Could you provide a little more info about the gas block?

Jeremy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How much does it weigh without the supressor? And have you tried using it for any prolonged amount of time?

Feedback Score
    I like it.

Is there a specific reason you went with the JP/VTAC tube? My shooting buddies keep telling me that's what I should use for an SPR type build (over the VTAC Extreme or a quad rail). And I'm dammed if I can make up my mind.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    I like it.

Is there a specific reason you went with the JP/VTAC tube? My shooting buddies keep telling me that's what I should use for an SPR type build (over the VTAC Extreme or a quad rail). And I'm dammed if I can make up my mind.
    I went with the JP/VTAC tube over a quad rail becuase I don't mount a whole lot on the front of my rifles. I'm not a VFG guy and don't have the desire to hang a bunch of tacticool gizmos on my stick. I am all about a light - which the JP/VTAC tube easily allows me to mount - but that's about it. Not to mention the only quad rail close in weight was considerably more $. And then when you add rail covers it gets even heavier.

I would ultimately like to have the light at 12:00 but with the setup I've got it just didn't work for me. Instead it's at 1:00 and my front sight is all the way out on the rail so I've got the longest sight radius possible. Behind the front sight is a rail panel with switch cutout so that I can work the light with my thumb of my forward hand regardless of when I'm shooting right or left handed.

The only reason I didn't go with the VTAC Extreme is because I didn't know it existed until now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast