http://galvestondailynews.com/story....e3ebab378f90a5
Bait camp owner not charged in fatal shooting

By Chris Paschenko
The Daily News
Published March 20, 2010

A grand jury declined to indict a bait camp owner who fatally shot a patron banned from the business.

Robert Stanley Ott, 52, was no-billed in the Oct. 22 killing of Michael Wayne Hansen, 55, who was found dead in his pickup in the driveway of Ott’s Santa Fe home, Galveston County Criminal District Attorney Kurt Sistrunk said in a Friday statement.

After convening five times, the grand jury’s decision Thursday not to charge Ott came after instructions on offenses of murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and the use of deadly force in self-defense, Sistrunk said.

During those meetings, the grand jury saw evidence and heard testimony from Santa Fe police and others, Sistrunk said.

Ott said he and his family were glad to put the tragedy behind them.

“I’ve been living this nightmare for five months,” Ott said. “I regret that the incident happened, but I was in a position where I had to defend my life.”

Ott owns Hall’s Bayou Bait Camp, from which Hansen was barred, Ott said.

“After threatening to kill me there, he came to my home property and pulled a gun,” Ott said. “I don’t know what made him feel he was welcome at my home property, especially with a gun, if he wasn’t welcome out there.”

Santa Fe police said Hansen displayed a gun in a threatening manner toward Ott. Police found Hansen dead with a gun in his hand, authorities said.

“I’m a hunter, I’m a 30-year member of the National Rifle Association, and I strongly believe in a person’s right to the Second Amendment,” Ott said.

Hansen’s wife, Shana Sweeney, said she would comment on the grand jury’s decision after meeting next week with Sistrunk.

Santa Fe Police Department’s investigation of the shooting was thorough, Sistrunk said.

If any additional evidence comes forward, the case could be considered for a subsequent presentation before another grand jury, Sistrunk said.