Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the next step after Red Cross ..........

Feedback Score

What's the next step after Red Cross ..........

advanced first aid and CPR?

Does it simply become specialized after that point?

For example is there one class that would cover plugging a gunshot wound (or is that the typical apply pressure and bandage stuff) setting up an IV, using that chest needle thing, opening an airway with that device, etc.

(Perhaps anything that involves purposely puncturing skin may be out of the question but having those things on hand may help when the person arrives who knows how to use it)

Just curious
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    lol, that's awesome.

just right
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Ridiculously overpriced for a certification that isn't even recognized by the medical community. Is Magpul going to stand behind their training if you get sued? I doubt it. Who organizes their curriculum? Do they even have a medical officer?

You're 1/3-halfway to paying for an EMT, FA or WFA, WEMT class at that point.

Gunshot medicine isn't some mystical voodoo. It's straightforward, down and dirty. There are plenty of good training groups other than Magpul more significantly they're a shooting school. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a tactical medicine class I'm going to someone who specializes in that kind of training like GORGRP.

Save that kind of money for shooting classes.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 03-21-10 at 12:44.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score

Thumbs up ISTM

This school is owned by a Dr., been around a long time and provides continuing support to their graduates.

http://www.tacticalmedicine.com/
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not a popular group in some circles but the Immediate Action Medical from Tactical Response was a very thorough 2 day course on gunshot wound treatment, etc. Taught by two active duty 18D's and I felt well worth the money. There is an AAR I did around here somewhere.

On the other hand a WFA, WFR or WEMT course is good also. Check out the new Red Cross Wilderness First Aid course. Totally new and revised for 2010. Very thorough discussion of tourniquets and usage. They even recommend purchase of commercial tqs. The online instructors video I watched used a CAT in the demo. Who'd of thunk the Red Cross would advocate TQ use other than in a 3 second gloss over. Good discussion on sealing a chest wound and burping it also.

Whatever course you take look into who the instructor is and how often they educate themselves.

Spence

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Not a popular group in some circles but

Spence
    Which group are you referring to ? Not clear.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tactical Response. My bad for even mentioning anything other than the training I received which was top notch. I'd recommend the Immediate Action Medical Class to anyone. I have not taken any other courses with them. Let's agree to keep the thread on topic even though I am the cause of the drift.

Mea Culpa

Spence

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really folks? Tactical medicine? Military buddy aid classes? C'mon...lets just suggest everyone become 68W's. Instead, lets concentrate on suggestions that everyone can find in their area, and that are taught to the civilian levels...which are not only more practical, but legally recognized outside the military.

Start with your local community colleges and look for an EMT-Basic course. It will cover what you are looking for and the certification will be recognized in your state, unlike the "tacticool medic" courses mentioned above.

WEMT is useless (IMHO) unless you take your EMT-B first. EMT-B teaches you the medicine, WEMT teaches you how to fake it when you don't have the proper tools.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that the Good Samaritan law is often NOT extended to a 'trained professional'. You can and will be sued when, as a jolly volly, you hurt someone when you decide to use 'that needle thingy'.

My opinion? Unless you have the certifications (and license) to practice those skills in your state/county, I would stay away from anything other than basic wound care and CPR. Applying a little knowledge to a close friend or family member is one thing, but jolly volly's love the recognition and rarely stop there. Again, just my opinion.

I'd advise taking classes that are actually recognized by state and national organizations, such as First responder, EMTB/EMTI/EMTP, PHTLS, ATLS, etc.

In the medical field, a 'little knowledge' often gets people hurt (and sued).
    Last edited by BaileyMoto; 03-23-10 at 14:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast