Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Clocking your Comp/brake" (FSC556 et al)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

"Clocking your Comp/brake" (FSC556 et al)

I am happy owner of a PWS FSC556. I use it on my BCM 16" middy upper.

Here is my question: do you 'clock' your muzzle brake or compensator away from top-dead center/ 12 o'clock? I am debating to experiment with rotating my FSC556 more toward the 12:15-12:45 position to combat the up-and-right muzzle movement during firing; has anybody else done this? Did it help? Am I just trying to mask my inferior shooting ability (no sarcasm here; maybe I just need to get better)? Experienced opinions welcome.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The FSC556 is supposed to be installed with the PWS logo exactly at 12 o'clock.
    Before you go and adjust something, try adjusting the way you are mounting the rifle on your body. Try to control it better. I'm not a professional but that's something I would try first. Go with the easier solutions and work from there.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure the guys over at PWS are aware of the way an AR muzzle will rise and have implemented that into their design so that the logo sits on top. But it will only cost you a crush washer to find out. Post results if you do I'd be curious to see the difference.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    I touched on the subject in the following thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41352

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Reply in my email from PWS:

"We designed the FSC556 to provide optimum compensation at the 12 o'clock position. There is no need to clock it off center as we did the work for you. Thank you very much and have a great time at the range."

So there you have it...no need to rotate it past TDC like a miculek brake.

Feedback Score
    Is it true that right handed shooters in a standing position generally experience up and right recoil, while left handed shooters experience up and left recoil(Left or right components due to shoulder movement and body rotation)? If that is true then maybe clocking it away from 12:00 might help, like 12:30 for a right handed, and 11:30 for left handed? Brakes that I have seen don't come in a left or right handed models, so this may be a way to customize its use. Did they say if this compensator is designed for right handed shooters, because it looks symmetrical to me about the left to right axis? The reply could mean that the brake is optimized for vertical muzzle rise and compensation, without being designed to have a left or right effect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but its interesting to me...
    Last edited by P2000; 03-22-10 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    IIRC, the 'fins' on the FSC556 are assymetrical - one is slightly longer than the other to compensate for this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Reply in my email from PWS:

"We designed the FSC556 to provide optimum compensation at the 12 o'clock position. There is no need to clock it off center as we did the work for you. Thank you very much and have a great time at the range."

So there you have it...no need to rotate it past TDC like a miculek brake.
    I just purchased one tonight and pushed 100 rounds through it and did notice a lift up and to the right. Maybe a 1" to 1 1/2"'s @ 10-15 degree angle of rise. I hope clocking it (using the set of washers included in the kit) to about 10-15 before TDC will resolve this. Anyone tried this or had this problem?
    Last edited by Blowby; 05-06-10 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
    I just purchased one tonight and pushed 100 rounds through it and did notice a lift up and to the right. Maybe a 1" to 1 1/2"'s @ 10-15 degree angle of rise. I hope clocking it (using the set of washers included in the kit) to about 10-15 before TDC will resolve this. Anyone tried this or had this problem?
    Are you right handed? The rifle will recoil to the path of least resistance. Seems normal.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    On some guns of mine I do clock their brakes/comp a few degrees. I shoot it with it perfectly centered and then try it.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast