Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt barrel or BCM/DD? for a much needed upgrade.

Feedback Score

Colt barrel or BCM/DD? for a much needed upgrade.

I’m trying to upgrade my bushmaster HBAR 16” carbine (I know I know...) as inexpensively as possible. I’m eyeballing a online retailers $300 dollar deal on a slightly used (30 rounds is what they are saying) Colt barrel, BCG and charging handle but I’m tempted to step up to a CHF DD or BCM barrel and bolt for more $$$. I’m not even thinking about middy or carbine gas system just basic barrel durability and quality.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Those with a better understanding will help you out but I have a few things to offer and questions to ask.

Are you having problems?
    What have you done to/with this rifle so far?

Honestly, I would shoot it. And as things wear and break, such as extractors, bolts, springs. I would replace them with high quality parts.
    I may go for a heavier buffer, though.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    It would be easier to sell the Bushmaster and buy a new rifle.

That's what I did, and I'm glad.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    IM with Eurodriver. If this route is feasible in your case, this is what I recommend doing as well. That way, you start fresh with a quality weapon through and through.

Feedback Score
    Even if I go to a new rifle question remains. Colt or BCM/DD? Even though I know it matters little I can't help but wish colt made CHF barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you can get one of the Colt Canada made 6920s, I believe they do have HF Diemaco barrels.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    Even if I go to a new rifle question remains. Colt or BCM/DD? Even though I know it matters little I can't help but wish colt made CHF barrels.

All are good brands. I would not put too much thought into CHF unless you are doing a lot of drills and expending a lot of ammunition. Regular 4150 barrels still work very well and you would have to work hard to wear one out.

That said if its in your budget why not?

I am partial to BCM just because they offer so many factory options its kinda hard not to find a setup to your liking that they offer. Or you can always have someone put something together for you.

Feedback Score
    Go here, look at all three, play with options, look at cost, and make a decision. All 3 are quality, so you will be pretty hard pressed to make a bad decision...unless you have no clue what you plan to do with the rifle...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...i?display=home

Feedback Score
    If I replace the barrel and BCG and make sure everything is staked properly how much of a practical difference is left?
    FWIW I don't mind piecing a rifle together. ARs are a lot easier than AKs in this regard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    I’m trying to upgrade my bushmaster HBAR 16” carbine (I know I know...) as inexpensively as possible. I’m eyeballing a online retailers $300 dollar deal on a slightly used (30 rounds is what they are saying) Colt barrel, BCG and charging handle but I’m tempted to step up to a CHF DD or BCM barrel and bolt for more $$$. I’m not even thinking about middy or carbine gas system just basic barrel durability and quality.

Thoughts?
    I actually would just sell your bushmaster at a local gun show. I would imagine you should get $600-$700 easy. Maybe you can put a cheap Tapco scope and UTG rail and sell it for $900-1000 just kidding. I would use that money along with your $300 and get a new Colt/DD/ or BCM of your choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast