Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to change the barrel extension??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    It is an oberland arms AR-15. It is shitty brand that is made and sold to peasants in europe.
    Since I am a "European peasant" this is of interest to me - especially since most U.S. brands are hard to get over here and/or they're severely over-priced. But back to my question; Oberland Arms make several models, hence my question which model this was? Was it a 16" Black Label, a 20" M1, etc etc?

BTW, Oberland use LMT BCG:s rather than the cheap Asian stuff you see in other European makes.
    Last edited by skullworks; 11-14-11 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Breaking barrel extensions were known problem of all OA-15 family. Black Label is new model, maybe OA mangled to get their stuff right.

If you are in Europe and want European made AR-ish rifle that is safe to buy, there is only one there. Taking in mind how much money OA wants for their OA-15, I would never consider it. That being said, all my friends who have OA (OA-15 or Black Label) do not have problems with them so far.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    If you are in Europe and want European made AR-ish rifle that is safe to buy, there is only one there.
    Which is?

Taking in mind how much money OA wants for their OA-15, I would never consider it. That being said, all my friends who have OA (OA-15 or Black Label) do not have problems with them so far.
    Actually, the Black Label is, by Swedish AR pricing standards, quite affordable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Which is?
    H und K 416?

Racking my brain for the max trim length on the breech of the AR barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    H und K 416?
    Speaking of overpriced you mean? The 416 would be interesting with Spuhr's lower (though he only makes a 417 for the SR25 mags as of yet), otherwise no thanks - elongated pin holes doesn't really give me that warm fuzzy feeling I'm looking for.

A belated thank you to montrala for the info about it being a problem with all Oberland models.
    Last edited by skullworks; 11-15-11 at 03:37. Reason: Added a link to the Spuhr lower plus a thanks to montrala.

Feedback Score
    Speaking of overpriced you mean? The 416 would be interesting with Spuhr's lower (though he only makes a 417 for the SR25 mags as of yet), otherwise no thanks - elongated pin holes doesn't really give me that warm fuzzy feeling I'm looking for.

A belated thank you to montrala for the info about it being a problem with all Oberland models.
    What do you mean by enlongated pin holes?

I had MR223 in mind, of course, but my remark was more toward "safety of purchase" - with HK, you know it will work and it will last. I'm aware that MR223 is not everyone rifle functional wise.

As to OA, I must clarify that problems were known to "OA-15" line of models. "Black Label" is separate (budget) product line from OA and as such I did not hear about problems with them. Also, pricewise it is "OA-15" line that is close in price to HK MR233. "Black Label" is like 50% of price both MR223 and OA-15.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

Feedback Score
    What do you mean by enlongated pin holes?
    The 416:s have a problem with the hammer pin holes becoming fatigued with use, becoming elongated.

As to OA, I must clarify that problems were known to "OA-15" line of models. "Black Label" is separate (budget) product line from OA and as such I did not hear about problems with them. Also, pricewise it is "OA-15" line that is close in price to HK MR233. "Black Label" is like 50% of price both MR223 and OA-15.
    Gotcha.

Feedback Score
    The 416:s have a problem with the hammer pin holes becoming fatigued with use, becoming elongated.
    I know or heard about different problems with 416 (and those are very hard used here), but it is first time I heard about that. Damaged trigger pin holes in AR15 happen, but those are usually fault of bad trigger (or pins) or bad installation. Or round counts well beyond 100.000. Can you be more specific - who, how at what round count?
    Montrala

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know or heard about different problems with 416 (and those are very hard used here), but it is first time I heard about that. Damaged trigger pin holes in AR15 happen, but those are usually fault of bad trigger (or pins) or bad installation. Or round counts well beyond 100.000. Can you be more specific - who, how at what round count?
    This is somewhat common here in America on full auto AR-15s. Since all civilian owned machine guns were manufactured in 1986 or earlier, many of the lower receivers have the "egged out" holes from years of hard use. I wonder if the problem on the 416's is with military units who do extensive shooting. I would be very surprised if H&K let the quality control slip on such an expensive rifle, not to mention one on which they're trying to build their reputation as a state-of-the-art rifle manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
    This is somewhat common here in America on full auto AR-15s. Since all civilian owned machine guns were manufactured in 1986 or earlier, many of the lower receivers have the "egged out" holes from years of hard use. I wonder if the problem on the 416's is with military units who do extensive shooting. I would be very surprised if H&K let the quality control slip on such an expensive rifle, not to mention one on which they're trying to build their reputation as a state-of-the-art rifle manufacturer.
    I know about this happen to AR15 after "pierdylion" of rounds. But I never heard about it happening to HK416. And I heard a lot bad things (true and not true) about HK416, but this is first time I hear about this problem in HK416. We have here military units who do very extensive shooting with them, including using it in "machine gun" role (dumping mags after mags full auto in break contact scenarios). They managed to beat some of those to death, but did not have this particular issue. That is why I'm interested in source of this info.

But if we take HK416 upper and put it on worn out AR15 full auto lower, then it might happen and be source of misinformation. Like video of stovepiping AR15 upper put on HK416 lower and titled "HK416 jams a lot" (or something to this efect).
    Last edited by montrala; 11-18-11 at 07:36.
    Montrala

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123