Thread: AR pistol Lower Question

Feedback Score

AR pistol Lower Question

I know this topic has been covered tons and tons of time. But i am in a pickle. I am thinking of buying a lower from a family member. This Lower was was part of a complete rifle when it was registered to him when he bought it. I was wondering when i bought the lower it needs to be transfered in my name, so I am buying this lower with out a stock, just the parts kit installed. When the FFL accepts the lower to transfer, can they accept it as a stripped lower then register the lower to me as just a stripped lower in the other box on the registration? So i can build a pistol?
    Last edited by KentuckyWindage; 03-29-10 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It should transfer as other/receiver as it is not a rifle. Is your relative out of state or does your state not allow private sales?

You cannot build a pistol from a rifle, if the lower has ever been a rifle it cannot ever be a pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It should transfer as other/receiver as it is not a rifle. Is your relative out of state or does your state not allow private sales?

You cannot build a pistol from a rifle, if the lower has ever been a rifle it cannot ever be a pistol.
    No he lives in the same state as me. Kentucky. He stripped the complete gun he bought and i am just buying the lower from him. I was hoping since i am buying the lower as stripped i could build a pistol. So if i understand correctly that when we do the transfer as long as i file the stripped lower as other, then i can build a pistol. Since the FFL will be receiving a stripped lower and then registering a stripped lower in my name. It was only a rifle lower under his name then taken apart and sold as stripped and transfered as stripped then registered as stripped......hmmmmm is that a grey area of the law?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool

NO gray area at all.

Once a rifle, always a rifle.

You cannot do what you want, legally.

Last edited by BillBond; 03-30-10 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWindage View Post
    I know this topic has been covered tons and tons of time. But i am in a pickle. I am thinking of buying a lower from a family member. This Lower was was part of a complete rifle when it was registered to him when he bought it. I was wondering when i bought the lower it needs to be transfered in my name, so I am buying this lower with out a stock, just the parts kit installed. When the FFL accepts the lower to transfer, can they accept it as a stripped lower then register the lower to me as just a stripped lower in the other box on the registration? So i can build a pistol?
    to my knowledge it needs to be a virgin lower for it to be used on a pistol ar

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    if the atf ever traces that serial # back to the factory(and they can ) it will come back that it was sold as a rifle. you will be in hot water at that point. Just get a virgin receiver and be done with it

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Because the lower had been built as a rifle it cannot be legally made into a pistol.

If you live in the same state why use a dealer for the transfer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Because the lower had been built as a rifle it cannot be legally made into a pistol.

If you live in the same state why use a dealer for the transfer?
    I am not going to, I was going to if i could build a pistol with it.