Thread: AAR: FPF Training Minuteman Rifle, 27-28 March 2010, Culpeper, VA

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)

AAR: FPF Training Minuteman Rifle, 27-28 March 2010, Culpeper, VA

AAR for FPF Training's Minuteman Rifle Course:

I had the distinct priviledge to attend FPF Training's Minuteman Rifle Course this past weekend in Culpeper, VA.

This is not my first carbine class, but I felt that I took alot away from this training. The Minuteman Rifle Class was intended to

teach students the handling, use and manipulation of the carbine in a tactical setting.

Additionally, students are taught to engage point targets out to 100 meters. John made it clear that this class was not intended

to train students in tactics, per se, but to successfully employ the carbine in a setting where law abiding citizens may find

themselves in.

The classroom portion started at 0800 at the Best Western in Culpeper, and ran until about 1130. John covered the basics of

the AR platform, nomenclature, function, cleaning and making the weapon safe. Also covered was mindset and some thoughts

about kit/gear.

After a brief lunch, we made our way to a local range about 6 miles from the hotel. After a range orientation/safety brief, we all

moved to the 25 yd line and loaded our carbines. John runs a hot range, and does not tolerate even a scintilla of tomfoolery or

any unsafe shooting practice.

Luckily, all of the 14 or so shooters in the class were very switched on, professional and motivated. The class consisted of

veterans, security professionals and responsible citizens that wished to increase their proficiency with the carbine.

After loading, we proceeded to zero our carbines on the 25 yd line, to ensure all students were on paper. Once that was

accomplished, we confirmed zero at 50. I run a 50/200 BZO on all of my carbines, so only very minor windage adjustments were

necessary.

Day 1 was predicated on getting shooters comfortable and proficient in operating their carbines. We called a cease fire at about

1645 HRS, and class ended.

Day 2 began with a range safety brief, and we again confirmed our BZO. Things got more interesting when we fired at moving

targets, failure to stop drills, controlled pairs and engaging steel at 100 meters in team relays. The best portion of this class was

the "downed tango AK drill".

We began engaging a target at 5 yds with a handgun, reloading, reholstering and moving back to the 15 yd line and employed

the AK on another "tango". Once the AK ran dry, we moved quickly back to the 50, recovered our carbines, loaded and engaged.

I did manage to take a few pics, but were were severely pressed for time on Day 2, due to incoming rain. This was an

outstanding class, and anyone wishing to improve their skills on the carbine would be well advised to give John Murphy a call.

My Gear:

Primary weapon- MSTN built upper with a 16” Noveske light Recon barrel, KAC’s excellent QD comp, and Daniel Defense FDE RIS

II.

The bolt carrier group is diamond black coated, which made cleaning and lube up a snap. BUIS are Troy Industries FDE, with a 50

meter BZO. My accessories were an Insight 3rd Gen LT 3 light and a FDE KAC VFG.

Lower was a stock Colt 6920 lower with LMT SOPMOD stock in FDE.

Magazines were Magpul PMAGs, 2008 manufacture. I had no issues with these mags, and they were 100% reliable for me for

the course.

My sling was a VTAC padded 2 point sling, and it was satisfactory for the purposes of the course.

My optic was a Nightforce 1-4x24 riding in a LaRue Tactical SPR mount, featuring an illuminated FC-2 reticle. This was also

purchased from MSTN, and I can’t say enough good things about this optic combo. My only “complaint” would be the weight, but

there is no free lunch in this world. This optic proved it’s worth when we were engaging targets out to 100 meters.

Secondary weapon- Glock 19, 3rd Gen, with Warren Straight 8's. It rode in a Safariland thigh rig for the duration of the course.

No failures of any kind were encountered with this combination.

Chest rig- Eagle Industries Universal Chest Rig in Multicam.

Ammo was Hornady laquered steel case 55 grain training ammo. Out of 700 rds, I had one malfunction, a dead primer on one

cartridge.

Last edited by GermanSynergy; 03-30-10 at 14:38.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers