Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mil-spec buffer tubes vs commercial

Feedback Score

Mil-spec buffer tubes vs commercial

What is the difference between mil-spec tubes and regular? Does it make that much of a difference? Is it worth the money to switch out?

Riley~~~
    God created men, but Sam Colt made them equal.

How long will it be before I get banned again?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Commercial tubes have a wider outer diameter.

Commercial stocks on a milspec tube will rattle.
    Milspec stocks on a commercial tube will not fit.

Feedback Score
    The receiver extension is the part of the rifle, often mistakenly called the "buffer tube" that extends out from the back of the lower receiver. It not only holds the stock on the rifle but also does act as a tube for the buffer and bolt carrier to move back and forth inside of when the rifle cycles. This receiver extension is held in place by a castle nut which also holds the receiver end plate in plate, which in turn holds a spring and detent in place inside the lower.
    1.14" Diameter Receiver Extension
    This is often referred to as the "milspec" receiver extension. The alternative to a "milspec" receiver extension is the "civilian" or "commercial" receiver extension. There is some debate as to whether or not the milspec extension is actually stronger or "better" than the commercial, but for most users the real choice comes down to availability of aftermarket stocks. Some companies, like Magpul with their CTR stock, offer versions for both extensions, but many do not. If you know that your intended stock is available for the commercial receiver extension or if you are happy with the stock your rifle comes with it is most likely not an issue. If, however, you want to change the stock or just keep your options open then the milspec extension is preferred.
    Dimensions for a "milspec" receiver extension can be found here
    http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/buffertube-Milspec-M4.pdf
    Dimensions for a "commercial" receiver extension can be found here
    http://magpul.com/pdfs/buffertube-civilian-M4.pdf
    Here's the link;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I belive the commercial spec. is 1.17, I'd have to look it up to be certain but I belive this is it. Maybe someone else can confirm?
    Last edited by jhs1969; 03-30-10 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    no reason to switch them as long as you have the right one on now.

Within the Miasma of the corruption of Chicago.
    Feedback Score
    The but end is also different between commercial and mil spec. Mil spec tubes will give you more choices for stocks if you're thinking about changing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    What is the difference between mil-spec tubes and regular? Does it make that much of a difference? Is it worth the money to switch out?

Riley~~~
    It may make a difference if you find yourself bashing things often with the butt of your rifle, or if you feel you need to slam the butt on the ground for some reason. Otherwise, for just plain shooting, a commercial tube will suffice, as long as you are happy with the stock/stock options.

Quote Originally Posted by matt86 View Post
    no reason to switch them as long as you have the right one on now.
    I thought this was a brilliant comment, as it can be interpretted a number of different ways. And it made me laugh.
    Last edited by hikeeba; 03-31-10 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

please familiarize yourself with the links provided above.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't commerical give you 4 postions between fully closed and fully opened......... and mil-spec give you 2?

So like 6 total vs 4 total.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Doesn't commerical give you 4 postions between fully closed and fully opened......... and mil-spec give you 2?

So like 6 total vs 4 total.
    No, not at all. From the begining of collasping stocks to today you could probably find any number of combinations. I currently have a 6920 which, of course, has a mil-spec tube with 4 positions. I also have a LMT with Sopmod stock, which is a mil-spec tube and it has 6 positions. My last two Bushy's had commerical tubes and had 6 positions. I don't know the full history by any means, but I think the collasping stocks that began in the Viet Nam era only had 2 positions, fully closed and fully opened. Which gave way to 4 positions and now many have 6 positions on both mil-spec and commerical sizes. If anyone has more details please jump in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    when I had a commercial tube on one of my ARs, I swapped out to a milspec tube for $20, greater compatibility with aftermarket parts.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fer&groupid=57

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast