Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the law on minors transporting firearms?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Check to see if your state has an online source for its Penal Code. Most do, these days -- but some are better than others...

Good luck, be safe, and be careful...

Best to you and yours.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As posted above, check local laws. The State Highway Patrol in each state would be a good start.

I had the same question when I was 17. My dad had land in Virginia and I drove up there from NC to hunt on the weekends. I didn't transport any pistols, just my rifle and shotgun and less than 10 rounds for each. I called the NCHP and VA State Police, asked them for information, and after a few call-backs I got what I needed. If you can get it in writing, even better...or have them reference you the applicable state statutes.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I would leave the sidearm at home as in Ky it is illegal for a minor to possess a Handgun.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/527%2D00/100.pdf

As for rifles I can find nothing in amongst the KRS that I looked through
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shrockster View Post
    I would leave the sidearm at home as in Ky it is illegal for a minor to possess a Handgun.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/527%2D00/100.pdf

As for rifles I can find nothing in amongst the KRS that I looked through
    The way I read it a minor can be in possession of a handgun if he is on the way to or back from a shooting range or any other place it is legal to shoot a firearm.

A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:
    (a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;
    (b) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm, or target shooting at an established firing range, or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;
    (c) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by a group organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any successor thereto which uses firearms as a part of the performance;
    (d) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the statutes or administrative regulations of this Commonwealth;
    (e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;

I don't know how you are supposed to prove where it is you are going though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a state trooper friend in Ky., but I haven't talked to him in a while. I'll give him a call and see if I can get either his or his CO's written account of what I can transport as a minor. That's a good idea thy I didn't even think of. Handguns are more recreational for me than anything else so from the gist of your ideas I had better leave them behind until I get a written account or more info. Once again, all the opinions and facts/experience is welcomed and appreciated
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12