Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint on a Home Defense Shotgun

Feedback Score

Aimpoint on a Home Defense Shotgun

'The Guys' have gotten into a pretty big debate on whether or not an aimpoint or similar sight would be a good choice on a home defense shotgun. I have searched on this topic and came up with only this thread, but didn't quit get as much as I would like to hear/see. I will refrain from posting my point of view, I only want to hear the opinions of the experienced and knowledgeable people of M4C, arguing for or against the use of these optics systems on home defense shotguns, for slug AND buckshot use.

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    An RDS is never a bad thing on CQB type weapon! To include shotguns!

Hell as we have seen recently...they will soon be the norm on fighting handguns as well.
    "WORTHY OF TRUST AND CONFIDENCE"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    i really dont see the need for one on a HD gun unless you live in a very big house. But if you're looking for something to stand out in complete darkness then I'd put one on it, unless I had a light source on it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd say use what you practice and train with. If, for example, you shoot three-gun matches with a dot-sighted shotgun, it would make sense to carry that over to the home defense gun. With the battery life of the Aimpoints, one could just leave it "on", so there wouldn't be an issue with yet another task to ready the weapon.

There might be issues with getting the dot intensity set correctly so that it's not too bright in low-light but still doesn't "wash out" when you hit the target with a bright white light. The target-side slight light signature of the Aimpoints might be an issue--a slight one--but it's there. Both of these issues would need to be checked out in the various lighting scenarios that you might encounter in the house.

The slug/buck issue is, well, a non-issue. At in-the-home ranges, the user will need to aim just as precisely with buck, as the pattern will be quite small and the only safe backstop is the attacker's body.

Rosco

Feedback Score
    You are all reinforcing my opinions.

Thank you for sharing. I'd love to hear more from anyone else.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I actually don't like them on shotguns, and no, not just because I prefer to relegate the shotty to the duty of opening doors.
    I have found that since most shotguns have a comb height that places the eye very close to the barrel once a higher optic is placed on the receiver it makes my cheek weld less than favorable, which reduces my recoil control.
    Just my opinion and preference.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I've heard this, F2S, and would agree that cheek weld could be a problem on high optics. A low mounting optic would be a necessity, and a stock change could fix most anything cheek weld related.

Barring cheek weld issues, how do you feel on the subject?

Feedback Score
    I had an aimpoint on my Benelli M4 and found that it wasn't the best choice for home defense.. the red dot is great for range and target but i found that the best way to manuever around the house was with a tactical light/laser combo... just my opinion, but i found i could move faster in confined areas, and get off a hipfire if needed..
    Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were goin' all the way.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Based on issues like dot intensity and cheekweld/comb height, I'd suggest something like the Trijicon RMR, if you want one. Bigger dot, auto brightness, lower profile.

Otherwise, a big XS style tritium front sight with white circle might be a more affordable, more practical option.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    A simple bead (metal or tritium) is the best option for a defensive shotgun that is going to be used under 25 yards.

Honestly if you see the need for rifle-like accuracy, or needing to shoot past 25 yards I'd recommend a carbine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast