Thread: Best California Legal AR-15 or M4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Best California Legal AR-15 or M4

Hey Guys,

I have myself a secondary side arm, but I'm interested in getting a California legal Ar-15. I understand the Department of Justice has a whole list of what you can't have. I'm interested in seeing what people on this forum have done. I understand a few things:

1) Must be under 10 round mag

2) Cannot have selective switch to full auto

3) The DOJ has been specific models illegal.

So what's the best Califronia Legal AR-15 or M4? From what I see at local store everyone needs to build their own.
    Profitable Online Ammunition Business for Sale: http://flippa.com/auctions/89485/Pro...r-with-Organic

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    you should go read up on Calguns.net

start with this:

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

as long as you use a lower receiver that is "off list", you can essentially build a AR-15 like everyone else.

you can go two routes: maglock (any 'evil' features, but 10 round mags) *Remember, if you use a maglock on your rifle, DONT use mags larger than 10 rounds! that makes it an illegal Assault Weapon.

or 'featureless'. no FH, pistol grip, adjustable stock, or vertical foregrip. by going this route, you can use detachable mags. You can use high capacity mags IF you owned them IN CA prior to 2000.

For example; I have a few AR's. I have built up, all on CMMG lowers (since they're not banned). one has a 14.5" LMT upper, one has a 18" Sabre upper, and the other has a 16" BCM midlength.

Since I didnt own high cap mags before 2000, I decided to go with a maglock (bullet button). I can have a flash hider, collapsible stock, and pistol grip. the maglock makes the rifle incapable of having 'detachable mags', since you need to use a tool to release them.

There is alot of information, and i'm sure i'm missing ALOT. your best bet is to read on Calguns exactly how to stay Cali-legal, but still have a very nice rifle.
    Last edited by TOMTOM; 04-04-10 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would go with a Noveske. I could not be happier with their products. I have an N4 and N6. They have been unbelievably reliable and accurate. The only downfall is they are on the expensive side.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Check out www.riflegear.com

They offer pre-made CA Legal DD carbines, and Cal DOJ has given them their blessing. Kind of a one-stop shop for this, IMHO.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGGodfather View Post
    Check out www.riflegear.com

They offer pre-made CA Legal DD carbines, and Cal DOJ has given them their blessing. Kind of a one-stop shop for this, IMHO.
    Yes they offer CA-ready carbines, but they are not CA DOJ 'blessed'.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Ok, please forgive me for overstating it.

When I say "blessing" I mean CA DOJ has done nothing else to stop them from coming in -- which is a far cry from just a few years ago, when CA DOJ agents were actually calling out of state manufacturers and discouraging them from selling off-list lowers in CA (a questionable practice as to interstate commerce).

The whole bullet button thing is ridiculous, IMHO.

I should have said,

Check out www.riflegear.com. They have several CA legal AR-type rifles. Period.

My profession demands I know the legal aspects of such emasculated rifles, but I don't own any. Frankly, I don't see the point, but hey -- if it gets you through the night, knock yourself out.
    Last edited by PRGGodfather; 04-04-10 at 16:16.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30