Thread: AR or AK Accessories you can't live without...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

AR or AK Accessories you can't live without...

Let me lay some ground rules:

1) If you post, it must be a positive review of an AR or AK accessory that you absolutely can not live without. It should include a brief explanation of what it does and why you can't live without it.

2) It should be sincere.

3) It should be accompanied by at least one decent picture of your own, or a similarly configured AR or AK. It should also include links where someone can find to buy this item.

4) If someone posts an item their company makes, they will need to be a site dealer/sponsor to post links or sell it any way.

5) There is to be no running commentary, or critique, of someone else's post or accessory choice. This thread should be positive. When posting your choice, you should not disparage another vendor's product in any way. In fact, any comparisons should be left completely out, unless absolutely unavoidable.

6) I will review this thread personally, several times a day. I will edit any critique of someone else's choice, or any negative comment about a product that has been listed or reviewed here.

So who wants to start??

As one person has already found out: Either follow the ground rules, or don't, but I'm quite serious in their enforcement. I will be handing out infractions if our membership can't follow simple guidelines, and want to antagonize/instigate a response with their posts here.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 04-08-10 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    IMO, the Ultimak AK gas tube turns the AK from a home defense also-ran into a serious competitor. I do not like the stock AK sights and find them hard to use. However, I want at least the option of being able to use them if the RDS goes TU suddenly. The Ultimak allows co-witnessing as well as the addition of a white light positioned exactly where I want it; the gas tube mounts up solidly and works perfectly both as a gas tube and a rail.

I would not have bought an AK at all if this product didn't exist. Now I find that for my uses it has several advantages to my AR-15. Simple, elegant, effective. It's a great product.

This is not my pic, but this is the same basic set-up I have:

Available for purchase here: Ultimak gas tube.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine's for ARs (though I'd get an AK if these were available for them - no joke).

As someone with massive hands, the Magpul MIAD, customized with the largest backstrap available, is a lifesaver for me. It allows me to get a proper hold and a consistent proper positioning on the trigger (in contrast to the scrawny A1 and A2 grips), but most crucially, allows me to control the weapon infinitely better while doing things that take my the buttstock off the shoulder, like reloads, malfunction clearances, and shoulder-switching transitions.

I won't own an AR without one.

(Not my pic)

Pick up yours today Here or Here.

Feedback Score
    Mine is a grip also. I use the Stark SE-1. I like the low grip angle and trigger finger placement, and everything else is very uncomfortable after using it.

Last edited by JonnyVain; 04-08-10 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like the idea of this thread. Unfortunately, it will get weighed down with bullshit as everyone submits their favorite widget as the best thing in the world. As I am about to do right now...

I firmly believe the Blackjack Buffers Swift lever should be on every AK in the world.
    http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=671

Back when I first got interested in AKs, I got to shoot a highly customized Krebs KTR-03. I thought it was the cat's ass. It had a Galil style safety that made it easy to flip the safety on and off. The safety was one of the reasons I said that gun was so easy to shoot, I felt like I was cheating. I was shooting something almost AR-like while the rest of the class had to deal with AK bullshit.

The Swift lever brings this ease of use to every AK. It allows for easy manipulation of the safety, updating the design of the AK from something ol' Mikhail copied off of a gun built in 1906. By also featuring a bolt hold open cutout, it further serves as an aid to malfunction clearance. And if you believe AKs don't malfunction, you haven't played with one long enough.

In short, the only reason to not have a Swift lever (or a similar tab added to the safety) is because you don't want to mess with the looks of your stock AK. But is an AK an aesthetically pleasing rifle to begin with?
    Principles matter.