Page 145 of 398 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 3975

Thread: Painted AR's - show 'em off!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    I agree; a nice scheme for NE.

Is it behind the Monarch?

If you mean the fern; yup. It's tough to really find a realistic setting for the camo to do its job, and you have to compromise between doing a realistic eval for how it would look in the field and how it looks on a forum in 2D and under different computer screen colors.
    So I sort of gave a hint by centering the concealed position on the picture. If you look hard/zoom in you can make out the Aimpoint tube and maybe the compensator below it pointed straight at you.

Either way I think the camo works great - a black rifle would have been more apparent since you'd see a black barrel and black rails and an aimpoint just being hit by sunlight. With the rifle colored there is more of a doubt in your mind when first seeing it, enough to make you dead meat if you walked in on that ambush, hypothetically speaking.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atg336 View Post
    If you mean the fern; yup. It's tough to really find a realistic setting for the camo to do its job, and you have to compromise between doing a realistic eval for how it would look in the field and how it looks on a forum in 2D and under different computer screen colors.
    So I sort of gave a hint by centering the concealed position on the picture. If you look hard/zoom in you can make out the Aimpoint tube and maybe the compensator below it pointed straight at you.

Either way I think the camo works great - a black rifle would have been more apparent since you'd see a black barrel and black rails and an aimpoint just being hit by sunlight. With the rifle colored there is more of a doubt in your mind when first seeing it, enough to make you dead meat if you walked in on that ambush, hypothetically speaking.
    I honestly couldn't find it (after looking for two-three minutes) before you mentioned the location....even after you mentioned where it was it still took me almost 15 seconds to find it!

Well done!
    Last edited by JohnVassilakos; 10-02-12 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've always wanted to paint my AR but I haven't summed up the courage to paint a $1500 hunk of metal... same reason I can't sum up the courage to stipple a $500 Glock...

In any case here is my AR in its unpainted glory...

This is how I'd like to paint it. I did have the courage to paint my old airsoft rifle.
    Last edited by Roecar; 10-02-12 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Just paint it bud. You can always take it off if you don't like it. You're version looks better anyway. It's got the Aimpoint.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 10-02-12 at 21:27.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Roecar View Post
    I've always wanted to paint my AR but I haven't summed up the courage to paint a $1500 hunk of metal... same reason I can't sum up the courage to stipple a $500 Glock...

In any case here is my AR in its unpainted glory...

This is how I'd like to paint it. I did have the courage to paint my old airsoft rifle.

I painted my rifle and pistol (stippled the pistol too) not to make it look purdy or super cool, but because black is indeed a readily discernible color in the daytime when against just about any backdrop or foreground.

I would rather be practical in how I customize my gear, i.e.: stipple the grip and other parts on the M&P because it does enhance grip, color both because of the environment that I will be in if stupid happens, or if you look, I cut off half of the AFG because I wasn't using the back half and it was the heaviest part of it.

Cool looks are a far away consideration for me regarding a weapon that can ensure my survival in a scenario where I and others will rely on it.
    Some people paint them to look special, but hey, it's their boomstick.

If you do paint it, with Aervoe for example, try to leave any rubber parts unpainted since it will become a sticky mess until it dries a week later. Aervoe spray paint dries the more heat is radiated on it, so it takes about 1 hour of direct sunlight for the paint to have little to no tac - not so when it comes to rubber.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Black is a terrible color to have in an arid environment as you said. It just so happens that the pattern I'd like to use looks great and blends well in my locale.

Painting is less invasive and somewhat reversible. I'm trying to get as comfortable before doing it to my rifle. As for stippling I'm more inclined to have a professional do it since damaging the frame is permanent.

I'll look into the Aervoe paint.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roecar View Post
    Black is a terrible color to have in an arid environment as you said. It just so happens that the pattern I'd like to use looks great and blends well in my locale.

Painting is less invasive and somewhat reversible. I'm trying to get as comfortable before doing it to my rifle. As for stippling I'm more inclined to have a professional do it since damaging the frame is permanent.

I'll look into the Aervoe paint.

You will like it painted especially when it wears off in areas!
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Just laid the aervoe down with homemade stencils. Haven't yet dusted over with OD.

Constructive criticism anyone? I wanna make sure accents are good before I dust over the entire SBR

Last edited by munch520; 10-05-12 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd go with it as is, or with a matte clear coat. Dusting is overdone, IMO, and will detract from the contrast necessary for a disruptive pattern to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Just laid the aervoe down with homemade stencils. Haven't yet dusted over with OD.

Constructive criticism anyone? I wanna make sure accents are good before I dust over the entire SBR

'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    I'd go with it as is, or with a matte clear coat. Dusting is overdone, IMO, and will detract from the contrast necessary for a disruptive pattern to work well.
    Agree, semi-gloss or dullcoat.

Looks nice BTW.
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Page 145 of 398 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast