Page 246 of 398 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 3975

Thread: Painted AR's - show 'em off!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    GTF425

Thats exactly what I was hoping a member here could do. If you can get that pic that would be great. I agree that you want to break up the outline of the rifle, but for me, one solid color(black), and another solid color (brown) would give a similar appearance. Being an earthly color, I'm hoping the brown will break up the outline more than just black. Thanks again for the info and pics.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is a similar pic somewhere in this thread (A painted AR & a black AR comparing through NVG). I've referenced it before when a friend tried telling a painted AR is stupid and that you loose all the stealthiness of black...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Patiently waiting on my Sionics barrel to come in so I can I can finish this one up.

Feedback Score
    Updated pic..................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sol1777 View Post
    GTF425

Thats exactly what I was hoping a member here could do. If you can get that pic that would be great. I agree that you want to break up the outline of the rifle, but for me, one solid color(black), and another solid color (brown) would give a similar appearance. Being an earthly color, I'm hoping the brown will break up the outline more than just black. Thanks again for the info and pics.
    I'll dig out my camera and get some pics. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I'm not an employee at TNVC (I have no idea how they get such great night vision pics) and I'm also far from being a photographer, but hopefully these are decent enough visual aids to get the point.

Conditions: an iPhone camera through a PVS-14. There is ambient lighting in these pics: sorry, but my dudes got shit to do. I'll take pics outside tonight. The floor in my tent is tan, the PEQ-15 is tan plastic, and the Surefire is anodized their "desert tan". The Gear Sector mount has been Krylon'd tan and brown. On my helmet, the Wilcox shroud is tan, the strobe is Krylon'd tan/brown, and the ARC rails are tan. On my plate carrier, the PMAGs are tan and the flag on my admin pouch is a full color red/white/blue because 'Murica.

The first thing you'll notice is that the browns and tans don't have a reflective nature. Everything black, be it anodized or rubber/plastic, has an almost glowing quality to it. It's hard to see through a picture, but look through a pair of NODs at a black rifle beside a painted one and the difference is startling. As for why my rifle's black: my current unit require us to maintain our weapons in a "parade ready" status at all time, so no painting. That even extends to our Scouts who were forced to strip the paint from their weapons to conform to policy.

It's hard to focus the camera perfectly on what the NOD is focusing, so bear with the pics.

This pic is my attempt at capturing the "glow" of black anodizing with the IR illuminator. Once again, much more apparent when you're wearing the NODs and can see it with your own eyes.

Finally, a basic comparison between Multicam/tan kit and black. Note the MBITR, SOFT-T, and sling. The plate carrier doesn't really have a definite shape or outline, yet the black is easily distinguishable.

Once again, I'll get pics outside tonight that will better demonstrate the difference between earth tones and black under NODs.
    Last edited by GTF425; 04-30-14 at 05:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Those pics are exactly what I wanted to see. I still think I'm going with more than a single color, infact already started spraying yesterday. Thanks gor the pics!

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    You're welcome. I personally paint my rifles exactly like how OIPactual did his AR. I've found that style of pattern to be the most effective both to the naked and aided eye.

It's pissing rain here, so no pics tonight. Whenever Afghanistan decides to cooperate, I'll get those other shots I promised.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Something to break up the profile of the rifle.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    If anyone wants the Disruptive Grey recipe Cerakote just released it.

Due to overwhelming demand, we are releasing the formula to create 'Disruptive Grey' (photo courtesy of BCM Rifle Company - www.bravocompanymfg.com). To create 'Disruptive Grey', just mix 6 ML of H-237 Tungsten to 2 ML of H-146 Graphite Black. Share your 'Disruptive Grey' pics at http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/!
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 246 of 398 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast