Thread: Recoil Reduction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Recoil Reduction

I am building a long range varmint AR. I am trying to do away with even the tiniest amount of recoil. What are some suggested muzzle breaks? And, do the hydraulic shock buffers work? Will either mod effect reliability? Any other suggestion for recoil reduction that I am overlooking?
    Last edited by ranburr; 04-05-10 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    From what ive read the JP brake that looks like it should be on artillery is very good at reducing recoil and normal hearing.

When i first read your post i was running though ideas and when yall shoot varmints its from a pretty much fixed position right? Why not make a low and wide tripod and have a post that attaches to the handguard. Then shoot what you want lift the post out of the cylinder and move along to the next spot. That way you could sandbag the tripod and still have a range of motion with the rifle. If you didnt have it tilt side to side and only front to back you also wouldnt have to worry about the rifle being level side to side.

As for the hydraulic buffers i have one that im not completly sold on. I want to give spikes ST-T2 buffer a chance since im having some lockback issues unsuppressed with the hydraulic one.

Feedback Score
    I am using a WARPED brake on my 24" 6.5 Grendel, along with a hydraulic buffer. Those plus the weight of the gun makes recoil almost nonexistant. It also has a Magpul PRS stock which is quite heavy, making for about a 12 lb gun. A similar setup in 5.56 would be extremely mild.

Feedback Score
    On all my M4's I run a full auto bolt /carrier group and a "H" buffer.
    My standard round I feed them is Federal M193 which is a Fairly "Hot" round.
    The recoil is alittle more than firing a .22LR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A 20" bull barrel AR with scope and solid FF handguard is going to run what - 11 lbs? Put it in a cradle bag like the Caldwell tackdriver that sort of clamps around the handguard and you really won't have any recoil. The blast and bolt cycling intensifies the perception of recoil, and I can't imagine a muzzle brake is going to help the situation any by making everything louder. If you're using a fixed A2 stock you can even add a DCM buttstock weight if 11 lbs doesn't cut the push enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Yankee Phantom 5C2 combined with a 10lb gun makes my 18" SPR a pussycat.

-matt