Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just how bad are the UTG rails?

Feedback Score
    Could someone please elaborate on exactly that's bad about UTG rails? I've handled a set, it was pretty heavy but it's also plenty strong by appearance. So is there something that's wrong structurally? Is the aluminum they use too soft? Is the machining done badly that one of the areas could come apart?

I'm also looking for honest opinion from people who used them, not just that simply if it's airsoft then it's bad. There are plenty of airsoft parts that are expensive and durable. And the fact is that if some great force was to impact the gun sufficient to break properly engineered aluminum components (such as UTG), your VFG or even your hands would probably suffer even greater catastrophic failure.
    Last edited by Bushmaster-M4A3; 04-07-10 at 03:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The aluminum is softer. If you torque an accesory down tight you will probably take material out of the rail. The way the 2 piece rail is designed, the side rails are part of the top half and overlap the bottom half with no real support. If dropped or banged hard, it could bend or break the rail. They do lock up tight. Most accesories I mounted fit. But I learned long ago by trial and error. Buy once, cry once.
    Knock off optics are a total waste of money. I had a basket full of cheap optics I bought over the years. For what I spent on ammo trying to dial; them in, I could have bought a decent optic. A guy talked me into buying an Aimpoint knockoff. I mounted it on a .22. Second time out, the 3rd and 4th setting crapped out.
    My Aimpoint M2 always works as does my Eotech 512.
    I had 1 Leapers scope that actually held zero.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Move that VFG forward.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had one for a little while, was a carbine length drop in.

It was cheap, it did its job. I never ran t "hard" so I did not have any problems with it. It has since been replaced with a Troy rail which seems to have better fit and finish as well as being free float.

Call it what you will, airsoft junk, cheap, etc. It will work for some people. Hell, it probobly would have contnued working for me since the gun it was on is not a tool I use every day for work or survival. But if I ever had to use it for work or survival, I am honestly not sure how well it would have stood up in the long run.

If you did not pay for them, got them as a gift and so on. I would use them while you save up for something better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My GF got them for me. If I get rid of them too soon or sell them there may be some hurt feelings involved. Eventually I will replace them. But for now they will have to stay on for a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
    My GF got them for me. If I get rid of them too soon or sell them there may be some hurt feelings involved. Eventually I will replace them. But for now they will have to stay on for a while.
    Hmm....just imagine if you marry your GF, the UTG rails will stay on your AR forever. j/k

Feedback Score
    Ahhh ... there are other forces in play here!

Feedback Score

Tell your girlfriend thank you. Then go get her some cheap knock-off jewelry, and tell her it looks good and seems servicable. That may give her a clue.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a set of UTG carbine rails on an M4 for about a year, they worked fine, Yea, I know they're not Troy or MI, But they worked and there were times i put real stress on them, I picked them up on E-bay for $40 used, put the money I saved towards ammo and shooting. If they do what you want them to do, then be happy with them.

Feedback Score
    I always wonder what you all do to your hand guards that requires the term hard use.

Most of the rails are for lights and VFG which require no zero holding capacity. Other than that the rails just keep your hands off a hot barrel. Anything that would "break" a rail would break a plastic set of hand guards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast