Thread: M855 ammo? Most durable/ accuret 5.56 ammo for SHTF

Feedback Score

M855 ammo? Most durable/ accuret 5.56 ammo for SHTF

M855 vs Winchester White box v custom ammo. Which is best in the field?

I am looking for SHTF survival ammo that might be out in the elements for 1 day-___Years? I want it to be as durable as possible with sealed primers and all. Who makes the best survival ammo? How does USGI .556 compare to M855, Winchester White box, and other ammo? I want it to be used in a Colt 6921 (14.5 barrel), Colt 6920 (16 inch barrel), and Sig 556 10 inch barreled SBR. Any ideas? Where is the best place to buy?

Also looking for cheaper stockpile able ammo that wont ruin my weapon. This will be used for the range.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone use SS109 green tip?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a couple cans of M855 sitting around. I prefer to use a heavier, soft-point or hollow point bullet in the 64gr to 69gr range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    any big name factory ammo should hold up fine. i've fired ammunition that's not only 10+ years old, having been stored in a dank garage that whole time, but had been literally submerged under fresh water for 8-12 hours, then left to dry in the case. xm193, wolf (got rusty, but still fired without failure), all kinds. the only ammo that i had problems with was .22lr and reloaded ammo.

Feedback Score
    I would also recommend some 75gr Hornady Tap, The red boxed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrelle View Post
    I would also recommend some 75gr Hornady Tap, The red boxed.
    Is the 75gr TAP marked .223 or 5.56? The one's I have seen seem to be marked .223.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc3 View Post
    Is the 75gr TAP marked .223 or 5.56? The one's I have seen seem to be marked .223.
    Both.

Hornady 75 Grain Loads

Here is a little “visual catalog” of the different loads that Hornady produces using a 75 grain bullet. I thought it might help clear up some of the confusion pertaining to the various loads offered by Hornady.

75 grain BTHP MATCH: catalog #8026
    223 Remington

This load uses the 75 grain BTHP “T1” bullet without a cannelure. (The is the same bullet that is available as a reloading component.) The case neck does have a very slight taper crimp. The powder used is a short cut extruded type. The lots of this load that I have chronographed have had velocities similar to or slightly higher than the velocities of the 75 grain TAP FPD load (depending on the barrel.)

75 grain BTHP TAP Precision: catalog #80265
    223 Remington

The original version of this load was referred to as "TAP Precision" while the more recent version has dropped the "Precision" nomenclature. Both versions come in a red box, but the newer version uses the same style of label on the box that the 5.56 TAP ammunition uses, adding to the confusion.

This load is the forerunner to the TAP FPD load. This load uses the T1 bullet with a cannelure and has a firm taper crimp on the case neck. This load also uses extruded powder and has a velocity similar to 75 grain TAP FPD. The primers are not crimped and the cases are plain brass.

original

current

75 grain TAP FPD (For Personal Defense): catalog #80268
    223 Remington

I think this is the load that started a lot of the confusion about the various 75 grain loads offered by Hornday. First off, the ammo comes in a black box. The box is still labeled as “TAP”, but it also has the “For Personal Defense” title on it. Besides the black box, this round also has the “black nickel” coated cases giving the round its distinctive appearance.

Other than the black box and black case the round is basically the same as the 75 grain BTHP TAP Precision load. It uses the T1 bullet with a cannelure and crimped case neck as well as the extruded powder. It does not have crimped primers. The muzzle velocity of this load runs around 2640 fps from a 20” chrome lined, NATO chambered Colt barrel.

Hornady 75 grain TAP FPD 2009

Since its introduction, Hornady TAP FPD ammunition has been loaded in black-nickel coated cases. According to Hornady these “revolutionary” cases “eliminate the potential for corrosion and improve feeding in all firearms.”

Starting in 2009, TAP FPD ammunition is being loaded in “revolutionary” silver-nickel coated cases and according to Hornady these cases “eliminate the potential for corrosion and improve feeding in all firearms.” Hornady also states that these newest cases “are easier to see in low-light conditions and when checking for loaded chambers.”

TAP 5.56 X 45
    75 grain BTHP/WC T2:
    catalog #8126N

This is the NATO pressure load. It comes in a red TAP box, but the side panel is clearly labeled 5.56 X 45. The panel has a disclaimer that reads “NOT FOR USE IN 223 CHAMBERS.” I think this load is confused with the 75 grain BTHP TAP Precision load because they both come packaged in the red TAP box.

One of the biggest features of this round besides being loaded to NATO pressures is the new T2 bullet. The ogive of the T2 bullet is shorter than the T1 bullet and the T2 bullet has a longer bearing surface than the T1 bullet. The T2 bullets also have incredibly uniform meplats giving the loaded round a more uniform overall length. It is reported that the shape of the bullet was designed so as to improve feeding in the M4 platform.

The T2 bullet has a cannelure and the case neck has a firm taper crimp. The primers for this load are crimped in place and the primer itself is reported to be a “mil-spec” primer. The more recent lots of this load have sealed primers. Contrary to advertisements, none of the lots of this load that I have seen have a sealed case mouth. This load uses ball powder and has a muzzle velocity of around 2820 fps from a 20” chrome lined, NATO chambered barrel.

I’d like to dispel the rumor that the TAP 5.56 X 45 load uses a large rifle primer. This is completely false and can be proved with the application of a tiny bit of science. The nominal diameter for small rifle primers is 0.175 inches.* De-priming a fired TAP 5.56 X 45 case and measuring the spent primer with digital calipers shows the primer has a diameter of 0.174”.

75 grain Practice: catalog #9760
    223 Remington

This load comes in a white, 50 round box. The distinctive feature about this round is the Berdan primed steel case that it uses. This load uses the T1 bullet with a cannelure and taper crimp. The load is charged with ball powder and has velocities similar to the 75 grain TAP FPD load.

*The ABC’s of Reloading, page 45.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Is there any risk of bbl damage when shooting the Hornady Practice ammo due to the steel casing as opposed to brass?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by huklbrry View Post
    Is there any risk of bbl damage when shooting the Hornady Practice ammo due to the steel casing as opposed to brass?
    nope.