Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running Thread

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post

Can someone explain the proper breathing technique on a high speed 5k?
    The way I was told was "just breathe"...as in, find your natural rhythm. I experimented with two in, two out; four in, four out; in through the nose, out through the mouth. I have no clue what I actually do, I...just breathe.

If someone has a true 'technique,' I'd like to hear it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The way I was told was "just breathe"...as in, find your natural rhythm. I experimented with two in, two out; four in, four out; in through the nose, out through the mouth. I have no clue what I actually do, I...just breathe.

If someone has a true 'technique,' I'd like to hear it.
    Ah yes that was what I was getting at I breath in through the nose out through the mouth currently and two in two out. Over the summer I want to bring my running into a competitive level.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    i'm interested in trying out 'barefoot' jogging/running. kyle (or anyone else), would you recommend the new vibram five fingers instead of a minimalist shoe? if so, which five fingers model?
    Ditto here

Feedback Score

vibram

I wouldn't reccommend the five fingers. There is just not enough there to protect the feet from debris (rocks, roots, etc.) I think they are a little of a marketing gimmick, none of the top ultra guys use them except as a "grass run" shoe and that's because Vibram asks them to.

Stick with-

NB 100
    NB 790 (if you can find any left)
    Nike Free (never run in one but it looks ok)
    The new NB 101s will be out in oct I think.

There are others too. Just look for-

No (or very, very little) heel elevation
    Very light weight (10 oz max, the 100s are about 7)
    Thin sole with no big foam cushion.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    kyle, thanks for the input. i've held off from the five fingers simply because they don't have my size in stock right now.

i'll check out those other shoes you mentioned.
    i remembered that i had a pair of nike aqua socks in the closet (for water sports), and thought to myself "hmmm - this might work". i'm not trail running, so i'm not encountering rocks or roots. just running on sidewalks/asphalt.

so, i went for a tentative 2 mile jog on monday, pushing my toddler in his stroller. i wore the aqua socks, adjusted my style to take shorter steps and land on the mid/forefoot, and went at it. also watched some vids on barefoot jogging to learn a bit more. not surprisingly, my calves ached for the next two days, but i was pleasantly surprised at how 'light' i felt on my feet and how natural it felt (not awkward at all), no pounding of the joints, and i really felt like my legs got a nice workout. i've never run barefoot before, and have worn asics gel kayanos for years to jog in.
    i'm going to give this a try - i'll jog again today.
    here's the nike aqua sock - i'd say it's about as minimalist as you can get. not designed for running, but worked well this first time. doubt the sole is going to last, but i already had 'em.

Last edited by militarymoron; 06-11-10 at 14:40. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    Also, don’t let bad experiences of the past (military) keep you from doing it. All good hunters run
    Thats a great quote as the Army really killed my desire to run after being out for six years. I'm having a hard time getting back at it, but I might check out the "barefoot" deal.
    As required: "I work for ITS Tactical as an editor".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123