Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Thread

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Defoor View Post
    Also, your stride should be shorter than it used to be when you run the way you should.
    As someone who recently transitioned to minimalist shoes (the MT100s, based on Kyle's recommendation in his blog) after years of wearing big, cushy ASICS, this nugget of wisdom is crucial. When I first starting running in the MT100s, I found it best to go slowly (often very slowly) and focus on each and every stride, making sure I was landing mid-foot and never on my heels. I focused on a shorter, smoother, more efficient stride. Every time I started to pick up the pace, I would start heel-striking and pounding my feet. Over a few weeks, the new stride became more instinctive and I could start to run faster. I now judge the "correctness" of my stride by how little noise I make. If I'm running the way I should - a short, smooth, efficient stride with a mid-foot strike - I make very little noise. If I can hear my feet pounding the road I know I'm doing something wrong and then I focus more on getting my stride back where it should be.

In all, I'm sold on these kind of shoes and this kind of running. The lingering joint pain I had for years was gone within month. I've experience a little of the Achilles pain Kyle mentions, but stretching helps minimize it as my body adapts. I'm now up to running 3-5 miles a few times a week, and I feel better and run better than I have in 20 years.

My favorite post-run recovery drink is big, tall glass of chocolate milk. Check it out. There's a few studies that suggest it works just as well as any of the specialized products out there. It certainly works for me.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Good thread. The only thing I would add is one more manufacturer to "the big four": Brooks.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
    Any insight on this?

What do you guys recommend to eat/supplements to take both before and after a run?

Thanks
    A cup of coffee before (no joke, it works for me). A banana and chocolate milk after, with maybe a handful of nuts.

Feedback Score
    I like coffee before a run as well. I can feel a difference when I drink coffee and if I don't. Also, I take a liquid vitamin B supplement before a run. It's cheap and I feel I can go longer at a faster pace when I take it.

Caution: Drinking alot of coffee before a long run can result in finishing the run with only one sock

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    Caution: Drinking alot of coffee before a long run can result in finishing the run with only one sock
    Yep, I can see that being a possibility! LOL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Good thread. The only thing I would add is one more manufacturer to "the big four": Brooks.
    +1 on that too.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    just finished my sprints back and forth for tennis training. lol
    footwork is very important.
    Last edited by tobasco; 05-26-10 at 01:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTRocks View Post
    Quote:

+1 on that too.
    +2, brooks have saved me from a lot of pain since I have low arches. They seem to make a lot of flat foot friendly shoes unlike the other manufacturers.
    Last edited by B52U; 05-26-10 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Kyle,

What are your thoughts on the Posetech running techinque?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    i'm interested in trying out 'barefoot' jogging/running. kyle (or anyone else), would you recommend the new vibram five fingers instead of a minimalist shoe? if so, which five fingers model?
    I just picked up the new or semi new Nike Free Run+'s they claim to be very close to the barefoot running without sacrificing the benefits of a shoe. Haven't done enough testing to make a final verdict but overall I am impressed just having got in from running a 5k just now.

Can someone explain the proper breathing technique on a high speed 5k?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast