Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just how bad are the UTG rails?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just how bad are the UTG rails?

I haven't heard very many good things about them but I also have heard a few people say that they are not that bad. I was given a new mid length set and want to use them on my middy until I can afford a better rail system.

They fit on my rifle rock solid with no movement what so ever. They are a little heavy though but not enough to make a difference to me anyway.

The rail covers that came with it are ugly as sin. (They are free to anyone that cares to pay the shipping on them. Let me know) I ordered some Magpul XTM covers to use instead.

So will my rifle disintegrate or spontaneously combust if I use them for a while? Will they at least be serviceable until I find something better? TIA!

Last edited by ghostman1960; 04-06-10 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

UTG = Airsoft

UTG is an airsoft company. STAY AWAY!!

Do they fit on a real rifle? Yes...
    Will you get quietly laughed at during range sessions? Yes...
    Will they work for now? Yes...

Do they BELONG on a real rifle? NO!!

"Buy once...cry once." Save your money for a set of Daniel Defense rails. If you've already bought and installed them...obviously I'm not going to tell you to take them off. If they work for you, great. But just realize that they are not made to .mil spec and they're heavy as crap. I would have dealt with the plastic handguards for a while and saved my money.
    Last edited by citizensoldier16; 04-06-10 at 17:54.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

But they were free

Do they make mid length ar15 airsoft guns?

Last edited by ghostman1960; 04-06-10 at 18:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a set on an M4 I had several years ago.
    They WORKED perfectly.
    No problems with them coming loose, no problems with mounting, no problems at all.

They ARE cheap but for a starter set (either those or regular Handguards) I would go with the UTG.

NOW I found KAS RAC M4 Rails for $150 so I'm upgrading all my rails to them (hey the price is right) and I"m selling the UTG so I'm only out $100

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've successfully broken UTG items off of plastic airsoft guns.

If they're just going to the range, sure, why not. If any other use is on the table, it's worth it to buy something nicer. The TROY MRF-DI, KAC Blemished/Used RAS, DD Omega-DI, DoubleStar and Ergo drop-in rails - all are quality options, and very affordable.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well put and an honest reply. I tested a set of carbine rails before they were released during 9 months of E.R.T. training on the PD. They are heavy and wide but they did work. The design has a couple flaws. I wouldn't use them for a serious rifle but as stated, for the range they will work and locked up tight.
    I don't know anything about the new free floats.
    I run DD Lites.
    Last edited by shadow65; 04-06-10 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    Do they make mid length ar15 airsoft guns?
    Yes. They make virtually everything you could conceive of, and it's often available in airsoft long before it is as the real deal. This sort of stuff is the bane of anyone trying to buy parts on Ebay. UTG even uses the same catalog/part numbers for real and toy parts - because they're the same part.

So will my rifle disintegrate or spontaneously combust if I use them for a while? Will they at least be serviceable until I find something better? TIA
    It (the rail) might break with hard use, particularly if you have some sort of vertical foregrip. If I had a rifle that I intended to be used - even possibly - as an actual weapon, I'd much rather bolt on a short rail section for a light and do without a rail until later.

At least you didn't pay money for it. The main argument against the UTG rails and related items is that you can find used, servicable carbine and rifle length M4/M5 KAC rails and accessories for dirt cheap all over the place, and that the money spent on the UTG junk could be better spend towards "getting something better" - buying the UTG just delays "getting something better" in the first place, and does essentially nothing but make the weapon look cooler to those who don't know any better.

Same can be said for your Fake-cog optic, there; you have a really nice base rifle, why go backwards? Assuming you didn't get that free, you could have gotten a real FF rail for that much. Said rail would last you a lifetime; the Bushnell is virtually guaranteed to crap out some day in the not too distant future. You would really be horrified if you saw the inside of a lot of Chinese optics.

Not trying to give you or anyone else a hard time, just applying my own hard-won lessons in getting the most (and longest lasting) mileage out of my dollars.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Personally, I'd run the standard muddy handguards. O can't imagine anything catastrophic happening if you do use them, but I wouldn't trust them to hold up well.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boltcatch View Post
    Yes. They make virtually everything you could conceive of, and it's often available in airsoft long before it is as the real deal. This sort of stuff is the bane of anyone trying to buy parts on Ebay. UTG even uses the same catalog/part numbers for real and toy parts - because they're the same part.

It (the rail) might break with hard use, particularly if you have some sort of vertical foregrip. If I had a rifle that I intended to be used - even possibly - as an actual weapon, I'd much rather bolt on a short rail section for a light and do without a rail until later.

At least you didn't pay money for it. The main argument against the UTG rails and related items is that you can find used, servicable carbine and rifle length M4/M5 KAC rails and accessories for dirt cheap all over the place, and that the money spent on the UTG junk could be better spend towards "getting something better" - buying the UTG just delays "getting something better" in the first place, and does essentially nothing but make the weapon look cooler to those who don't know any better.

Same can be said for your Fake-cog optic, there; you have a really nice base rifle, why go backwards? Assuming you didn't get that free, you could have gotten a real FF rail for that much. Said rail would last you a lifetime; the Bushnell is virtually guaranteed to crap out some day in the not too distant future. You would really be horrified if you saw the inside of a lot of Chinese optics.

Not trying to give you or anyone else a hard time, just applying my own hard-won lessons in getting the most (and longest lasting) mileage out of my dollars.
    Exactly. You do have a nice rifle so lets take steps foward and not back. It would be smarter to run some MOE handguards than waste money on utg junk. Hell you'd save weight and money by doing that. You already have a fairly decent BUIS so I'd sell the optic and rails and buy a quality accessory of your choice. Learn to use and become more proficient with your backups first and then look into getting an optic.
    Last edited by wes007; 04-07-10 at 01:00. Reason: forgot something.
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Feedback Score
    I had a pair of 'em on my S&W M&P15 (at a gun show for $60). They're heavier and scratch easy, but they worked perfectly.
    Not sure if I'd use them on a rifle if I was law enforcement or private security, but they're a really good bang for your buck.

Edit: You can't beat the Magpul MOE hand guard for value though. It's very easy to find online for around $30 with free shipping.
    Last edited by MistoGators; 04-07-10 at 01:04.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast